How long does a corny have to hold pressure to be "good"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaobrien6

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to kegging, and have a question. I bought a couple corny's recently and they were *supposed* to be shipped under pressure, so you'd know they were good when they arrived. One had no pressure in it, the other made a tiny pfft when i pulled the relief valve. I called, and they immediately shipped me 2 more. The new kegs had the same problem. I called again, and they said to test them out, 'cause they can sometimes lose pressure during shipping (really??). So, I figure sure, no harm in trying. I took 2, pressurized them to about 10psi, checked for leaks with star san, no leaks. Left them pressurized for 5 days now, they still seem to be holding, based on pulling the relief valve briefly.

So, are they good? They seem good to me at this point, but I don't have a lot of experience.

A couple of my kegs don't hold pressure with no gas attached, but those poppets need to be replaced. If they are holding pressure after 5 days I wouldn't worry about it.

try changing all your orings (particularly the diptube ones) and try again. one time I wasted a ton of co2 because my tank just wasn't holding pressure.

turns out I forgot to put an oring in, I felt pretty stupid

A couple of my kegs don't hold pressure with no gas attached, but those poppets need to be replaced. If they are holding pressure after 5 days I wouldn't worry about it.

Good to know, thanks.

try changing all your orings (particularly the diptube ones) and try again.

Don't need to try again. It's still holding pressure. The question was how long does it need to hold pressure for me to call it good.

if it hold pressure for 5 days you should be fine as you should be finishin a keg every 5 days anyway

hahah that would be crazy...

7 days is my limit

hahaha. seriously. maybe with 2 friends over every night it wouldn't be so hard that's only 7.5 pints a day...

still pretty serious!

If you want to be scientific about it, you could rig up a keg pressure tester with an extra keg disconnect, some copper fittings, and an extra CO2 gauge. Cost would be probably less than $15-20 depending on what you may already have on hand and how fancy you want to get. Overkill? Yeah, probably. But I'm a DIYer at heart...

http://www.hbd.org/carboy/kegpresstester.htm

I wouldn't expect any kegs straight out of soda duty or someone's garage to hold pressure. After you clean everything and replace the orings with a little keg lube, then evaluate them.

Back