How long do you aerate with O2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBam

Reaction score
How long would you guys aerate a 5gal batch of wort with O2 (diffusion stone attached)? Talking about standard red canister of O2 from hardware store.

i've read a couple blasts of 30 secs each should do it. Don't want to under do it or over do it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I do it until the foam gets a little out of control (just about 30 seconds) and then blast it again for about 30 more seconds after it goes down. Just a little bit of O2 does the trick.

You can't over do it... the point of using o2 it to completely saturate it, and that takes 30-60 seconds. I normally do right around 45 seconds.

45 seconds to a minute. I don't run the aerator at full blast either, just enough so I can see a fine mist of bubbles coming from the airstone.

Is there any benefit/detriment from running the O2 longer? Would that just be a waste of O2?

You can't over do it... the point of using o2 it to completely saturate it, and that takes 30-60 seconds. I normally do right around 45 seconds.

You CAN over do it. you only need about 14ppm of O2 to get great oxygenation.
if you hit 20ppm, the O2 starts to burn the yeast, much like pure O2 will burn your lungs.

45 seconds is all I do. my beers are great.

Back