How long do I leave fruit in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultryx

Reaction score
Edit: How long can I leave the following in secondary: cherries, apples/cinnamon, mixed berry.

Last edited:
My experience has been fruit pretty much gives up all its flavor in 14 days. Some fruits it does not hurt to go longer in secondary but really doesn't add much.

The seeds themselves for fruit with seeds on the outside or small seeds readily available can give off some pretty harsh flavors if left too long. See the chart below (5 Gallon batch)

Cinnamon to taste just pull it when it hits the flavor profile you like.

Many on this forum would argue this is not enough fruit but for me works pretty well in these quantities.

10 Days
Raspberries Blackberries - Cranberries
Mild Fruit Character 3 to 5 lbs
Medium Fruit Character 6 to 8 lbs
Strong Fruit Character 9 lbs or more

Strawberries
Mild Fruit Character 5 to 7 lbs
Medium Fruit Character 8 to 10 lbs
Strong Fruit Character 11 to 13 lbs

14 Days (Could go longer if you want to.)
Blueberries, Sweet Cherries (Pitted) Pears, Apples
Mild Fruit Character 5 to 7 lbs
Medium Fruit Character 8 - 10 lbs
Strong Fruit Character 11 lbs or more

Citrus Fruits (Lemons, Limes , Oranges)
Mild Fruit Character 5 to 6 lbs
Medium Fruit Character 7 to 8 lbs

Sour Cherries, Peaches, Plums (Pitted)
Mild Fruit Character 4 lbs to 5 lbs
Medium Fruit Character 6 to 8 lbs

@CKuhns this is a really nice collection of guidelines here. Thank you! Since this is my first attempt at both mead and adding fruit to it, I wanted to avoid any issues with seeds and the like giving off negative flavors. Cinnamon apple tastes pretty good already. Again, I split the three total gallons into three 1-gallon recipes. I'll use the 14-days as a guide, but I'll keep tasting every other day or so and then bottle.

Thanks for your help!

Is there a recommended temperature for the fruits in a secondary-brew?

Is there a recommended temperature for the fruits in a secondary-brew?

Not that i am aware of. I just freeze them for 24 hours then either dump them right in or place them in a mesh bag at whatever temp my basement is at the time.

I'm assuming that room temperature would be better. Liquid/molecules needs some type of thermal-kinetic energy to move around vs being near freezing point.

Back