How long do i have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pclarks

Reaction score
My brew is about to finish up but it seems like it's gonna fall in the middle of my string of 12 hour work days. My question is is it okay to wait a couple of days before bottling or will that mess up the batch?

pclarks said:
My brew is about to finish up but it seems like it's gonna fall in the middle of my string of 12 hour work days. My question is is it okay to wait a couple of days before bottling or will that mess up the batch?

It'll be fine. A few extra days on the yeast cake won't hurt anything and can actually be beneficial (gives the yeast time to clean up after themselves).

Yeah,as long as it's at FG & settling out clear or slightly misty,it's all good when you can get to it a couple days later.

I've left beer for several weeks to a month after I should have bottled (I usually bottle after 3-4 weeks in the fermenter) and no ill affects. RDWHAHB Time is your friend, it's generally better to be patient and take longer to do things, than it is to rush them. That being said, I would worry about going over 8 weeks total (assuming you aren't using a secondary), as much after that you can start getting autolysis, which will cause off-flavors.

Don't get hung up on exact dates, because sooner or later, you will run into a beer that gets stuck or takes longer than you thought to ferment. They're more of a guideline that gives you an idea of when your beer should be done fermenting. If you're not going to bottle during your string of workdays, at least take gravity readings so you know that the batch is done when the time comes that you're able to bottle.

Back