how long can starsan be used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naptown

Reaction score
I don't have my bottle, I'm sure it talks about how long a diluted mix will last. Specifically, I sanitized one carboy and transferred the sanitizer to another carboy. I have it just sitting in there. Good, Bad, or Indifferent? I'm sure it probably "dies" at some point.

I was just rereading Palmer's treatment of sanitizers last night in "How to Brew". He wrote that Starsan will hold its effectiveness for days unsealed and indefinitely if in a sealed container. He said that you will know Starsan has lost its potency when it goes cloudy.

This has been beaten around quite a bit over the years. Palmer was wrong if he said that it's effectiveness was tied to the solution becoming cloudy or not. I had a discussion with the president of 5 Star who told me that if the solution is kept free of organic material (meaning that you thoroughly cleaned the items before sanitizing them), that the only factor that would determine it's effectiveness was that the pH of the solution was below 3. The cloudiness can be caused immediately if used with hard water, but that it's still effective.

Most people, me included, keep a bucket of the solution for weeks, if not months. I've even "sweetened" it back up by adding some more concentrate to the solution I already had to drive the pH back down below 3. Been using Star San this way since I began brewing almost 7 years ago. No infected batches to date.

Back