How long can it lasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mordred

Reaction score
Okay, found in the deepest darkest part of my basement, undisturbed, bottles of both mead and stout that I made in 1997. Caps still in place. Could this be possibly any good after all this time? Does home made spoil? I know wine (sometimes) gets better with time but stout and mead? Please advise.

-Mordred

best way to find out? crack one open and taste it.
worst case scenario? you die. but, IMHO, that's a good way to go.

Mordred said:
Okay, found in the deepest darkest part of my basement, undisturbed, bottles of both mead and stout that I made in 1997. Caps still in place. Could this be possibly any good after all this time? Does home made spoil? I know wine (sometimes) gets better with time but stout and mead? Please advise.

-Mordred

Well, the mead might still be good, even better perhaps. Depending on what kind it was and how strong it was. As for the stout, well, I don't think it would still be very good, but there's only one way to find out and nothing to lose...

Lou said:
best way to find out? crack one open and taste it.
worst case scenario? you die. but, IMHO, that's a good way to go.

Just for clarification, Lou is joking here. You won't die. No deadly pathogens can live in beer (and I'm assuming they can't live in mead either.)

Real worst case scenario? Upset stomach and gas.

Just crack one open and enjoy. If you are afraid of what might happen, send them to me and I'll let you know. :D

If they had a decent level of Alcohol (a 'natural' preservative after all!) in them to start with then there's a chance they'll be ok. Open, smell and if still ok pour into glass. Smell again. Sip. If at any point of these you get bad aromas/tastes then tip that bottle. Not the whole batches just yet!;)
Repeat with a fresh glass.
If you keep opening them with 'off' smells/tastes then tip them.
Fingers crossed though they may be some great brews!:)

I've got you beat.

I made a batch of Belgian Christmas Ale in 1996 and still have some left. I drink one bottle a year on Xmas day. So far, it's gotten better every year and I'm looking forward to it's 10th anniversary this year.

Mikey said:
I've got you beat.

I made a batch of Belgian Christmas Ale in 1996 and still have some left. I drink one bottle a year on Xmas day. So far, it's gotten better every year and I'm looking forward to it's 10th anniversary this year.

D@MN! that is the coolest thing I've read in a long time. good tradition I hope someone enjoys it with you my friend - oh and merry xmas!

I will try each bottle individually. The stout was made during my 'experimentation' days. I called it the 'Far Out Stout' because it has a little dark chocolate, dark malt, dark hops, a touch of molasses, and coffee. It sounds bad but every time I gave some to a friend the response was the same, "Wow........far out, man"

I will let you know how it goes. Thank you all for responding. And I agree, great tradition with the beer a year at Christmas.

-Mordred

Isn't mead supposed to improve with age? As for the brew? lol, my 9 yr old bottle of Pale Ale sitting in the fridge (along with 2 more that I KNOW are questionable), is waiting to get cracked on brewday! (T-MINUS 14 days and counting). I'll let you know how mine goes... :tank:

Keep us posted.

Ize

Modred, the other guys are completly wrong. This stuff has gone terribbly wrong by now...not even a quesiton about it. Please send it to me immediately here in Idaho where I can dispose of it properly at the Idaho National Laboratory Nucelar Wasted facility properly. DON't even think of touching one of those caps!

Sneaky

I made a VERY heavy Wit last year. It's tasted terrible each time I've tried one. I quit sampling it about 10 months ago, but haven't tossed it. I'm going to try another one soon to see if it's improved.

Latest posts

Back