How long can I keep my beer in my primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlg5150

Reaction score
I put my first batch (Coopers DIY) in the fermenter on the 29th of December. It's done fermenting but I just ordered some Star San for the bottling process and it says it will ship in 4-14 days (ordered from Amazon). Basically I want to know if there is a certain time period in which I should go ahead sanitize with bleach and bottle if I haven't received my Star San yet.

Also, since this stuff was $19 for a measly 8oz, how should I use it? I was thinking about mixing about 3/4 of 1/4 of an ounce (yes, you read that right :)), and pouring it into a gallon of distilled water. Then pouring that mixed solution into a bucket of some kind. Dip bottles, let drain, fill. Will this method be okay? What about the leftover solution?

Also, it says that it will stay effective in a sealed container for 4 weeks. Does this mean the mixed solution or original bottle? How long will the opened, undiluted bottle of Star San keep?

Thanks!

A ton of people recommend leaving the beer in the primary for a month...so there should be no issues going that long. Some go longer with no ill effects so you'll be fine.

I mixed up a batch of Star San in a 5 gallon bucket and reuse the heck out of it. People say you can use it until it gets cloudy. Well, mine got cloudy after the first time I used it probably due to the water. I didn't have any distilled on hand so used tap. However, a month of use shouldn't be an issue. There has been tests done that a month long used batch of star san had the same pH as a brand new mixed batch. So, my plan is to use my batch of Star San for a month or so and start over. I got the 32oz bottle for 16 bucks shipped online. You should look into that next time. Anways, 1 oz batch for 5 gallons per month...that gives me almost 3 years of constant use for 16 bucks of sanitizing solution. I call that a win!

Also, the star san is somewhat exposed in my bucket as it has the hole for my airlock...and it still is working fine.

You are correct in everything except the amount. 5 gallons require 1 ounce so it would be 1/5 of an ounce for a gallon. But a gallon is plenty and will keep for a few weeks in a sealed container with distilled water. Once it is cloudy it is not effective. I personally don't spend money on distilled water and just dump it at the end of the day. 8oz will make 40 gallons so that is alot.

you can leave the beer in primary until your star san arrives.

the mixing rate for star san is an ounce to five gallons. however you don't need to make five gallons at once. I usually make 2.5 gallons at a time and only use a half ounce. it will keep for weeks.

You can leave the beer in your fermentor until the star san arrives.

Undiluted star san will keep for a long time, the 4 week recommendation is directed at the mixed solution. I have kept it mixed longer than that with no problems.

That sounds expensive, too. You can order it for less @ midwest supplies or any other online homebrew shop, for future reference.

I soak my bottles much the way you have described without problems. Just make sure they are clean before sanitizing (no old beer or yeast in the bottom, etc)

Hope this helps, and hope the brewing process was enjoyable!

You are correct in everything except the amount. 5 gallons require 1 ounce so it would be 1/5 of an ounce for a gallon. But a gallon is plenty and will keep for a few weeks in a sealed container with distilled water. Once it is cloudy it is not effective. I personally don't spend money on distilled water and just dump it at the end of the day. 8oz will make 40 gallons so that is alot.

You are correct in that I will need 1/5oz. However, I think 3/4 of 1/4oz (three quarters of one quarter of an ounce) is pretty darn close to 1/5. I was looking at pictures of the Star San bottle and it looks like it measures in 1/4oz increments. I figure 3/4 of the way up to the 1/4 mark should be about 1/5 of an ounce. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Maybe it's a good thing if my Star San doesn't come for a while. I suppose it will make my crappy Coopers Alager (haha) turn out a little better.

Tip - get a spray bottle from somewhere (Lowes and Home Depot have them year round in the janitorial/cleaning isle). Put some star san in that and then you can spray down surfaces as you need - like a spoon, hyrometer, etc. I do this (well with Idaphor but same principle - contact sanatizers rock!).

Tip - get a spray bottle from somewhere (Lowes and Home Depot have them year round in the janitorial/cleaning isle). Put some star san in that and then you can spray down surfaces as you need - like a spoon, hyrometer, etc. I do this (well with Idaphor but same principle - contact sanatizers rock!).

The only thing I'm concerned with about using a spray bottle is measuring the right amount. If 5 gallons only requires 1oz, then a regular size spray bottle is going to be nearly impossible to measure I think.

Make up a gallon, fill up a spray bottle from the gallon jug, put the remainder of the gallon under the sink (with the cap on) and use it next time?

^^^ this. Just fill up something you can easily measure, fill spray bottle, save rest.

Back