How long can apfelwein age before getting funky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvodude

Reaction score
First off I'm not all the crazy about apfewein. 6 month doesn't taste much different to me than fresh.
Any way, my question is- I have some 18 month old apfelwein that doesn't taste much different to me than say 6 months.
Does it reach a point where it would definately start to taste bad?

I brewed one batch of apfelwein and I'm still trying to give away bottles. I'm not a big fan of it.

That being said...I brewed my first and last batch around 2 years ago and just tried a bottle a few weeks ago to see if it had gotten better. It was horrible. Much worse than fresh.

First off I'm not all the crazy about apfewein. 6 month doesn't taste much different to me than fresh.
Any way, my question is- I have some 18 month old apfelwein that doesn't taste much different to me than say 6 months.
Does it reach a point where it would definately start to taste bad?

I'm not overly fond of apfelwein either, I think graf is much better. If you haven't already, you might give it a try. I've been experimenting with the recipe & it just keeps getting better every time I brew it. Try it with some caramunich & a bit of caraway, IMHO it rocks! Regards, GF.

Back