How long can a nut brown stay in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winenewb172

Reaction score
I brewed a nut brown ale last week and by Friday all fermentation seemed to be finished judging by hydrometer samples but I'm not gonna be home again till next Friday. Should my beer be fine sitting on the lees or should I stay up late and bottle it. I gotta get up at 2:00 am for a 3.5 hr drive tomorrow. Thanks for any advice

Your good. Mine sit for 3 or 4 weeks usually before bottling. Yeast has time that way to clean up off flavors from fermentation.

not only will your beer be better after another week on the yeast, you won't f up the bottling like you would if you were tired and cranky!

No worries. 3-4 weeks primary won't hurt anything and will probably help.

If you have the means, cold crash it (at 35-38*F) for 3-5 days after the ferment is done.

Yeah, I let mine sit for 3-4 weeks typically on purpose. As the batches I've done have aged, i continually learn that time is beers friend. I just had a smoked porter that I bottled at the end of December, it was the best bottle I've had yet from that batch, really smoothed out! I still have 8 of them left!

Back