How long can a fruit wine keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alee

Reaction score
I opened a strawberry wine tonight that was make in '07. It had a few particles in it (it was perfectly clear a few weeks ago) and a slight off taste.
When we inspected the remaining 5 bottles, we found stringy (almost worm like) treads suspended near the bottom. Is this just a matter of good wine gone old? It was stabilized 2 wks prior to bottling with sulfite and sorbate.
Thanks

I opened a strawberry wine tonight that was make in '07. It had a few particles in it (it was perfectly clear a few weeks ago) and a slight off taste.
When we inspected the remaining 5 bottles, we found stringy (almost worm like) treads suspended near the bottom. Is this just a matter of good wine gone old? It was stabilized 2 wks prior to bottling with sulfite and sorbate.
Thanks

With proper amounts of sulfite, it should last for years. A couple of things that might have happened: the corks dried out and let infection in; the bottles weren't well sanitized at bottling; the wine may have been low ABV and not able to last; or storage problems (mold on the corks, and the corks cracked in the heat).

My wines made in 06 and 07 are just now becoming really good. The 06 dandelion is wonderful, and the 07 reds (chokecherry mostly) aren't quite ready yet. The 06 blackberry is still a bit hot, but mellowing. I bottled these wines to age out a bit, and plan on drinking many of them in the last 2-3 years.

It has been an excellent tasting wine until now, so I know it's not yeast sediment. These were worm like strings and the taste was not worth drinking. I poured the bottles out. At least we had 19 good ones prior to this! Just wondering if it was too old. I have older wines that seem ok.

I store the wines in the basement (unheated) on their sides in a wine rack. The corks should have stayed wet although when I first started making wine I was using the conglomerate corks. Maybe they just don't hold up?
I also have some excellent wines from 07 (I made a bunch that year!)

I store the wines in the basement (unheated) on their sides in a wine rack. The corks should have stayed wet although when I first started making wine I was using the conglomerate corks. Maybe they just don't hold up?
I also have some excellent wines from 07 (I made a bunch that year!)

I just don't know what it could be, if not the corks. It's not like it's one bottle, it's all the rest of them. Sounds like something in that batch took hold suddenly and quickly.

Back