How long before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefetty

Reaction score
I have just finished fermenting a extract. My first one at that.. It is a munton export stout and it only took about 3 days till the bubbles stopped so I am assuming it is finished fermenting. I have had the primary wrapped in a heating blanket on low. How long before I can keg this and drink it? Also can I filter a stout and would filtering allow me to drink it any sooner?

Wait for it to be in primary for a total of three weeks if you can, then keg. Filtering won't allow you to drink it sooner, and while you can do it, with such a dark ale as a stout it probably won't make a huge difference.

Hey thanks a lot for the suggestion! Really loving the smell of it. I will be waiting then. In the meantime I can use this carbonator cap to carb some ginger ale or some root beer lol. Looks like I will need to be getting another carboy at some point

Hey one more thing. Should I turn off the heating blanket now and just keep it in the dark?

Good question. I'd say about 75. Of course with the blanket being out the outside the thermometer is showing higher than 78.

Also I did not get a OG reading.. Just winging this one as following the instructions it won't be very high abv and that's okay. Just testing the waters.

The fact that the bubbling stopped after 3 days doesn't mean it's done fermenting completely. It just usually indicates that initial fermentation is done. It'll now slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. And it sounds like your temps at that time were 75-78F,which is way too warm for the average ale yeast. so the normal by products of fermentation will show up as off flavors.
You'll need to give it 3-7 more days after FG is reached to allow the yeast time to help clean up said off flavors & settle out clear or slightly misty.
Then bottle or keg,& give it more time to clear even more & condition the flavors & aromas.

treefetty said:
Also I did not get a OG reading.. Just winging this one as following the instructions it won't be very high abv and that's okay. Just testing the waters.

There's nothing wrong with "winging it" once you get a good feel of a recipe and your process, but not bothering to take a gravity reading eliminates any chance for you to gain precious experience for future brews. You'll have no idea of the alcohol content, and no idea of the attenuation which is a huge indicator of any flaws on your process. No big deal if you're not trying to get better, but my guess is after you taste it you'll want to improve!

Thanks for your suggestions and critics. I need to invest in a wine thief so gravity reading will be less of a hassle. As of now I am having to siphon them and it is really discourging being as I do not yet have a designated spot for brewing and with the kitchen so small.. well you get it.. I am working on a man cave where I will have a few large and deep sinks and space to store items with a keezer eventually. Thanks again for your time.

treefetty said:
Thanks for your suggestions and critics. I need to invest in a wine thief so gravity reading will be less of a hassle. As of now I am having to siphon them and it is really discourging being as I do not yet have a designated spot for brewing and with the kitchen so small.. well you get it.. I am working on a man cave where I will have a few large and deep sinks and space to store items with a keezer eventually. Thanks again for your time.

"Invest"? Seriously? You're willing to throw caution to the wind to save $3 on a turkey baster from the kitchen section in pretty much any store? You're going to have a tough time in this hobby my friend...

"Invest"? Seriously? You're willing to throw caution to the wind to save $3 on a turkey baster from the kitchen section in pretty much any store? You're going to have a tough time in this hobby my friend...

Man do you enjoy being discourageing and overall negative when you comment? Look if you don't have anything constructive or helpful to say then please don't comment on my post...

I'd much rather be encouraging of this great pursuit. Didn't mean to be a dk. You really need to take gravity readings tho, kinda flying blind without them...

Back