How long before racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chetduggan

Reaction score
Ok, I got a sweet mead I've taking gravity readings on till I got it where I want it. Used Potassium Sorbate to stop fermentatio and was just wondering how long I need to wait before racking? 2-3 days at same SG?
Thnx Cheers!!! :mug:

Ok, I got a sweet mead I've taking gravity readings on till I got it where I want it. Used Potassium Sorbate to stop fermentatio and was just wondering how long I need to wait before racking? 2-3 days at same SG?
Thnx Cheers!!! :mug:

Potassium sorbate doesn't stop an active fermentation, unless the fermentation was finishing up anyway. It inhibits yeast reproduction, so it only keeps fermentation from restarting in a mead or wine with very little yeast in suspension (and no lees at all) anyway. If you just added sorbate to an active fermentation I would be surprised it it stopped.

Should I rack off lees then add sorbate then?

Since you've added the sorbate already, you can try that but don't add more sorbate until you're sure it didn't "work". Check it to see if the SG is stable. I wouldn't add more sorbate unless absolutely necessary- it does impart a taste.

You could try sticking the fermenter in the fridge to stop/slow the yeast, and then rack it off and see if that stops it.

Thanks Yooper, thought about that after I posted. Will cold crash for a few days then rack and hope for the best.

Back