how long before racking into secondary carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyspohn

Reaction score
Making 5 gallons of blueberry hard cider my question is how long do I wait till I transfer inro the secondary carboy its only been 3 days so far and when I do the secondary carboy do I need to add anything else with it

I like to wait until fermentation is just about finished, so that you don't get a ton of new lees in the carboy. With a blueberry cider, you may drop a ton of lees for a while. I'd probably rack after about 3 weeks for the first time, top up, and then rack whenever lees were 1/4" thick or more after 60 days or so.

Ok I have it in a 6 gallon carboy now with 5 gallons of cider 2 1/2 pounds light brown sugar 5-12 oz bags frozen blueberrys 1 1/2 pounds craisens and blueberry pomagranite concentrate with eg-1118 yeast and the yeast nutrient when I rack it into the secondary shoud I use my 5 gallon carboy so I don't have to add as much apple concentrate

Ok I have it in a 6 gallon carboy now with 5 gallons of cider 2 1/2 pounds light brown sugar 5-12 oz bags frozen blueberrys 1 1/2 pounds craisens and blueberry pomagranite concentrate with eg-1118 yeast and the yeast nutrient when I rack it into the secondary shoud I use my 5 gallon carboy so I don't have to add as much apple concentrate

Yes! I usually make more, so I can fill a wine bottle or growler and have "top up" cider/wine handy until the very end. You'll lose quite a bit to the lees when you rack.

Thank you for your info I will do that when I rack it off another question when racking to second carboy can I add more blueberrys or will that hurt the end finish

Back