How long before carbonation develops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djramos

Reaction score
I bottled four days ago. I couldn't stand it and I opened a bottle today just to see how it was carbonating. Nothing, should there be somehting by now. Or should I wait a another week or two. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

It really varies. A general rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees. Four days is quite a bit early to be worried.

3weeks is good at 70.....unless you're brewing a monster. When you get into the tripels, quads, RIS's, and barleywines, they take a bit longer. Generally, the higher the alcohol, the longer to carb. But 4 days is definitely way too short

This hobby requires patience. Generally, a minimum of three weeks in the fermenter and 3 weeks in the bottle is REQUIRED. Before that time, you are just going to have flat, "green" beer, which isn't very enjoyable.

Patience is definitely a necessity. I don't have any, and I usually open 4 or 5 bottles before it's even carbed. I'm surprised I'm able to let my beer primary for 4 weeks. I usually do between 1.060 and 1.075 beers, so I like to give them 4 weeks to ferment and bulk condition a little bit. Then 3 or 4 weeks in the bottle, and I'm good to go. I wish I could let a batch last a month or more to see how it ages. And I never have a pipeline, but I haven't brewed as much as I'd like. That's why I stepped up to 10 or more gallon batches.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Read the above blog, and come back to the beer in a couple more weeks.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them ore time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

:mug:

Here in Florida at room temperature it usually takes 2 weeks, but i would much rather let the brew age and develop a bit more. 3 weeks is a good minimum.

I used to stash my brews waiting to crab in the boiler room in my house. It was an older boiler and that room was typically warmer than the others. I found in 2 weeks it got to where I typically wanted it to be.

Last year we replaced that boiler with a new more efficient unit. It saved us a ton of money on oil costs.

Of course it no longer generates the heat and thusly that room isn't as warm so now it takes twice as long.

Also don't forget to refrigerate your bottles for 24+ hours before opening to allow the pressurized CO2 that's built up in the bottle to subliminate through the beer more easily. I just finished a California Pale Ale that after 4 days @ 70* + 1 day in the fridge had a nice level of carbonation.

Back