How long before beer gets fizz??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contraband

Reaction score
hi all

I bottled my 1st batch of beer ever today and I was wondering how long do you have to wait before drinking,

My last bottle I was filling was only half full so I transferred it to a small bottle I had and said to my self I'm gonna drink that after dinner tonight. well I had my dinner and opened up that beer it taste great to me, but it is almost completely flat. I used priming sugar but not sure if it takes time before it gets fizz. it's only been 6 hours since bottling.

Is it eventually going to get fizz or did I screw up some where along the brewing process

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition....

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

when you add that priming sugar, you're feeding the yeast that are still in the beer, so just as it took a while for the yeast to eat through the maltose in the wort and ferment, it will take a while (as revvy said 3+ weeks) for the yeast to eat the new sugar and create carbon dioxide (fizz) in your beer. it's basically just a small scale fermentation.

thanks for the reply guys.

I wish I would of thought about a forum before I started the brew. I just watched a lot of youtube videos to get the general idea of what I was doing. Also I have found lots of helpful threads here to other questions I had, and found the answers with in them

Back