How long are milled grains good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Stella Artois Clone kit in my fridge and I have changed plans and I don't think I'll be brewing it for a few months.what are my options? Seal it in a zip lock or?

Any way you have to store it with as little air as possible. I've never tried to keep crushed grain around that long, but it would be worth a try. I forgot about an entire grain bill (stored in paper sacks) in the fridge for about a month once. The beer turned out ok, but the efficiency was HORRIBLE!

Personally, I'd say once the grains are crushed, the sooner the better when it comes to using them. I'd be really hesitant to wait more than a week or two at most.

Thats my 2c worth though.

Cheers

I've recently used crushed grains that were stored for about 9 months in an airtight container. No issues with efficiency or otherwise(although I am in the process of getting a grain mill because it makes me nervous storing crushed for so long). Before using them i eat and smell a few. If theres a good crunch and a rich smell then theyre good to go.

I order 4 kits at a time, all crushed, and brew them over a 2 to 3 month period.

I store the crushed grains in the freezer and take them out a few days before brew day.

I've noticed no drop in efficiency or taste.

Back