how long are beer kits good for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder143

Reaction score
while cleaning my garage i found 5 boxes from northern brewer. All are different styles. Wanted to see if they would be still good after about a year and a half. Not getting my hopes up but wanted to see before throwing them out.at least 1 of them is only liquid extract. off the top of my head
raspberry wheat
peace coffee stout
california common

Yeah. You might need to freshen up the yeast though. I've done 2 year old kits fermented with the yeast that came with them put in a small starter. Might be a tad darker & a bit different flavor, but sometimes they work out well. My two year old Cooper's OS lager came out like Paulaner Salvator doppelbock.

They are all bad. Send them to me for appropriate disposal.

JK

Brew the heck out of them, but don't be surprised when the wheat and California common turn out a bit darker (assuming LME, which darkens with age).

Or see above.

The real question is - how could you forget about 20 gallons of beer?!

Just a thought - Cannibalize the kits and make a dark malty beer that would potentially hide any off flavors from lack of freshness. I would recommend replacing any steeping grains in those kits. This is a good opportunity for you to throw two kits together to make a big beer like a RIS or Belgian dark strong.

I just did an old amber ale kit, turned out delish. it had a bunch of pre crushed grains, they still smelled great and as long as the hops don't smell like cheese, youre good to go. I'd even use the dry yeast that came with the kits, just have a fresh packet available as a backup.

You don't say where you are from. I assume it gets hot in summer. Kits been in the garage for 1.5 years ......... get fresh yeast and hops.

Extract should be good, probably darker, but will work.

My experience with old LME extracts are anything light tastes like an amber. Not bad but not what you thought. If you plan for it that would be better. Like someone mentioned, cut the kits up for making something different. It's dark beer season anyway. So yeah, any Pale LME is now like an amber in flavor and color.

Back