How is this even possible (RESOLVED)?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaddyWa

Reaction score
So I purchased a dry Irish stout extract kit from NB. Brew day was about 3 weeks ago, looked very light going into the fermenter but thought I’d let it ride. Went to take a sample today and this does not look at all like a stout! Smells, looks, and tastes pretty much like a miller high life! Far cry from the roasted/coffee like aroma. I’m thinking I got the wrong grains?

https://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/DryIrishStout.pdf

Attachments

• BD65F7C6-B934-46B8-8D38-78F82647E0C8.jpeg
    BD65F7C6-B934-46B8-8D38-78F82647E0C8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Hmm. What did it look like going into the fermenter? Did you follow the instructions exactly? Could be they sent you the wrong kit. No offense intended, but have you brewed before?

Hmm. What did it look like going into the fermenter? Did you follow the instructions exactly? Could be they sent you the wrong kit. No offense intended, but have you brewed before?

No offense. Still a newbie. This is my 5th kit. Everything has turned out pretty good so far. Thought I followed it correctly. Seemed easy, very few ingredients. It looked that way going into the fermenter.

IMHO that picture you posted is not anywhere near a stout... they must ahve sent you the wrong kit.
Where there roasted and/or chocolate malts included in this kit for steeping or is it 100% extract?

*Edit - The instructions state that the kit comes with #1 of roasted barley to steep. Did this indeed come with the kit?

I agree. There is no way I could have messed it up this bad. Steeped 1 lb of English Roasted Barley (or at least that is what I thought it was) for 20 mins at 160-170 degrees. Followed by 6lbs of Gold liquid malt extract during boil. 2oz of hops at 60 mins.

Roasted Barley is super black colored (as I am sure you know) The beer would be pitch black and very roasty flavoured if you used a whole pound of it

I would contact NB and show them pic of the finished brew... maybe they will send you a free kit?

Their printed instructions do have a disclaimer to check kit first. Regardless good luck!!

The grains would've smelled characteristic of a stout, and the preboil water would have been very dark. If you don't recall that then it could've very well either been the grains or a completely wrong kit.

NB is replacing the kit! They were super responsive and offered to send a new one...no questions asked. Have to give them credit with their customer service! Hopefully I have better luck with this one.

Beermanpete - not a bad idea on the Black and Tan!

Glad to hear you got a new kit! I helped a friend brew this kit as his second brew, and it came out very much a stout! Even quite young it is very tasty, and seemed to be a forgiving kit. Good luck with the new one! In his case he just went 14 days on the primary, then bottled. We tried one at two weeks bottled, and it was already quite good - it is a couple months down now - I should go mooch one!

NB, whatever else their faults may be, are very very very good with customer service and will replace kits no questions asked.

Maybe that's a blonde stout I've seen recently in BYO magazine?
When I started brewing I bought 2 kits from NB. Felt the cost was too high compared to buying grains separately.
Just choose a recipe on here and purchase the grains online or at your local HBS.

Back