How important is this ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Reaction score
In a wine recipe, 1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet how important are these two ingredients really?

I'm not a wine guy at all but IIRC the pectic enzyme will help reduce your chill haze in the wine you will get from high pectin fruits. The Campden tablet will also kill off all the yeast for you when you reach you chosen FG and let you maintain your selected level of dryness . . . I guess it would also help you keep from brewing a "sparkling wine" since you wont have any live yeast in it after bottling.

I would say important ennuff to NOT leave out

Pectic enzyme is optional- it reduces pectin haze so you get a clearer product. I use it in fruit wines all the time. Campden tablets are necessary- they sanitize your must, killing undesirable yeasts and bacteria. This is very important if your must isn't boiled, just made from fruit.

Lorena

You need campden to give the wine yeast the best head start and prevent oxygenation. Put in a crushed tab per gallon 24 hr. before pitching your yeast and another every other racking as a rule of thumb. Campden tabs don't hurt your wine yeast but they slow everything else down. Don't add the pectic enzyme at the same time as the campden... not sure why on that one, something about the sulfide gasses interfering. Try 12 hrs before you pitch your yeast to give you something to do.

Cheers,
Doug

winemaking.jackkeller.net is the #1 site for home winemaking, btw, or winepress.us for forum

Muntzster said:
In a wine recipe, 1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet how important are these two ingredients really?
Wouldn't this question be better asked over on one of the Wine boards?

Back