how important is starter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjmadden08

Reaction score
Im going to be making my second batch this sunday, a Bavarien Heff. with this being a lower gravity beer, is it necessary to make up a starter tonight, or can i get away with just pitching the liquid yeast and then worry that it wont ferment for a day or two

It's up to you- make a starter now, or be prepared for a long lag time. Either way is acceptable depending on your patience level!

I always make a starter, unless there is no possible way to do it.

Rule #1 - ALWAYS MAKE A STARTER!

2 reasons:

1. You know your yeast is good prior to brewing up a batch. If you don't you are wasting time.

2. An active starter reduces your lag time from days down to hours (3 mostly).

If I'm using a propigator pack from Wyeast, I don't make a starter for 5 gallons. It is, basically, a starter in itself. For pretty much everything else (liquid) I make a starter.

Thanks, i guess i will go ahead and make the starter. as i have never made one before, it will be good practice

With liquid yeast, I would always make a starter... unless it was one of the large Wyeast Activator "smack packs" which can just be smacked a few hours ahead of time. (Generally I smack 'em the night before and make sure they inflate fully overnight so I can brew in the morning knowing I have viable yeast to pitch.)

With dry yeasts, you have the option of just pitching the dry yeast right into the cooled wort. The last hefe I did, I just rehydrated the dry yeast in sanitary water while I brewed, and then pitched that into the cooled wort. It started fermenting within about an hour! :rockin:

Thanks for the replies. 2nd question: what is the best failsafe methode for making a starter? i just picked up some DME and was going to do 1/2 cup DME, 1/2 cup water, cool it to 75, put in sanitized 1L flask, pitch the liquid yeast, aerate, and cover at room temp. does that sound about right?

I'd up the water to 2 cups because you'll get evaporation from boiling for 5 mins.

After you sanitize your flask and pour your wort in you can pitch your yeast, cover with aluminum foil and shake the hell out of it to oxiginate the wort. ;)

jjmadden08 said:
Thanks for the replies. 2nd question: what is the best failsafe methode for making a starter? i just picked up some DME and was going to do 1/2 cup DME, 1/2 cup water, cool it to 75, put in sanitized 1L flask, pitch the liquid yeast, aerate, and cover at room temp. does that sound about right?

It should be 1 pint water to 1/2 cup DME. You don't want to make it too strong- you want to multiply yeast, not stress them. A sg of 1.040 or so is ideal.

Thnaks for all the advice, hopefully my brew weekend will go off without any problems (well at least not any BIG problems) :)

Probably a stupid question (keep in mind I haven't brewed anything yet)

But when you say to use some DME and put it into the cooled water - you mean taking some of the DME that came with your kit correct?

Or do you guys keep some around just specifically for this purpose?

Kulprit said:
Probably a stupid question (keep in mind I haven't brewed anything yet)

But when you say to use some DME and put it into the cooled water - you mean taking some of the DME that came with your kit correct?

Or do you guys keep some around just specifically for this purpose?

I just bought an extra lb of DME for making starters with

Real quick question on starters...how early before you plan on brewing do you make the starter? Thanks!

Jason

Back