How important is a stir??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
Was reading a post yesterday about priming your beer and the poster mentioned pouring your water/sugar mixture into your bottling bucket and then siphoning your beer into it(which is what I did). Then they mentioned giving it a stir(which I didn't). Is this going to be a problem? Is this something I should plan on doing next time??

Thanks.

I have heard that stirring is actually frowned upon during priming, as it introduces unwanted oxygen to the beer at this stage.. but Im sure more experienced folks can comment on the truth in that.

I have heard that stirring is actually frowned upon during priming, as it introduces unwanted oxygen to the beer at this stage.. but Im sure more experienced folks can comment on the truth in that.
Unless you stir like a madman this isn't much of a danger. When you rack into the bucket CO2 is driven out of the beer forming a protective layer on the top.

Don't sweat about stuff like this, Steve...When they talk about introducing unwanted oxygen into your beer, they are talking about several parts per million of O2 MORE than all the "normal" things that we do during brewing, AND many of the mistakes we make....And most of the time we drink are beer LONG before any signs of oxydation would show up...Things like this are of more concern to commercial breweries making light tasteless lagers (BMC,) then to us homebrewers.

As to the OP's question...Some folks give it a light stir to help incorporate the solution and the beer. Some coil the racking hose around the bottom of the bucket, so as it is racking upward, the beer is swriling and incorporating the sugar water evenly. Some dump have their priming solution in the bottom, then add the remainder when half the beer is in the bucket. And other brewers just dump their solution in the bottom of the bucket, and rank, and pay it no mind...

And pretty much all their beers turn out carbed after 3 weeks @ 70 degree.

So it is really just a matter of preference.

About the only thing I do try to do is when starting siphoning into the bottling bucket, is to stick the output end of the siphon hose into the spigot inlet port for a second or 2 to try to flush out any pocket of sugar solution that may be stuck in there. Not sure if this is a risk or not. Sometimes I do give it a gentle stir, but usually I forget. So far, I can't tell the difference.

Due to some uneven carbonation a while back I give it a pretty good stir. I now worry more about getting the sugar evenly distributed than I do about oxidation. When, in the future I get oxidation problems, I will probably find the middle ground. It's all what works for you plus past experience and learning from this forum. ;)

I never stir. I simply add half of the priming solution at the beginning of the racking process and the other half mid-way through. Only issue I've had is slight overcarbonation.

I've done the following:
  • rack 1 gallon of beer, then priming solution, the rest of the beer, no stirring
  • priming solution in the bucket first, then the beer, no stirring
  • both of these methods, plus giving it a slow stir

I haven't noticed a difference in carbonation levels between the different methods and no signs of oxygenation from the stirring.

Just rack on top of the priming mixture and you'll be fine. The whirlpool action of the dispensing siphon will mix the priming solution well enough as is.

Back