How important is a stir??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MCH

Reaction score
Was reading a post yesterday about priming your beer and the poster mentioned pouring your water/sugar mixture into your bottling bucket and then siphoning your beer into it(which is what I did). Then they mentioned giving it a stir(which I didn't). Is this going to be a problem? Is this something I should plan on doing next time??

Thanks.

SteveStLoo

Reaction score
I have heard that stirring is actually frowned upon during priming, as it introduces unwanted oxygen to the beer at this stage.. but Im sure more experienced folks can comment on the truth in that.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard that stirring is actually frowned upon during priming, as it introduces unwanted oxygen to the beer at this stage.. but Im sure more experienced folks can comment on the truth in that.
Unless you stir like a madman this isn't much of a danger. When you rack into the bucket CO2 is driven out of the beer forming a protective layer on the top.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Don't sweat about stuff like this, Steve...When they talk about introducing unwanted oxygen into your beer, they are talking about several parts per million of O2 MORE than all the "normal" things that we do during brewing, AND many of the mistakes we make....And most of the time we drink are beer LONG before any signs of oxydation would show up...Things like this are of more concern to commercial breweries making light tasteless lagers (BMC,) then to us homebrewers.

As to the OP's question...Some folks give it a light stir to help incorporate the solution and the beer. Some coil the racking hose around the bottom of the bucket, so as it is racking upward, the beer is swriling and incorporating the sugar water evenly. Some dump have their priming solution in the bottom, then add the remainder when half the beer is in the bucket. And other brewers just dump their solution in the bottom of the bucket, and rank, and pay it no mind...

And pretty much all their beers turn out carbed after 3 weeks @ 70 degree.

So it is really just a matter of preference.

tom777

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
About the only thing I do try to do is when starting siphoning into the bottling bucket, is to stick the output end of the siphon hose into the spigot inlet port for a second or 2 to try to flush out any pocket of sugar solution that may be stuck in there. Not sure if this is a risk or not. Sometimes I do give it a gentle stir, but usually I forget. So far, I can't tell the difference.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
Due to some uneven carbonation a while back I give it a pretty good stir. I now worry more about getting the sugar evenly distributed than I do about oxidation. When, in the future I get oxidation problems, I will probably find the middle ground. It's all what works for you plus past experience and learning from this forum. ;)

A4J

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've done the following:
  • rack 1 gallon of beer, then priming solution, the rest of the beer, no stirring
  • priming solution in the bucket first, then the beer, no stirring
  • both of these methods, plus giving it a slow stir

I haven't noticed a difference in carbonation levels between the different methods and no signs of oxygenation from the stirring.

fratermus

Reaction score
I stir gently after racking onto the water-dissolved sugar.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Just rack on top of the priming mixture and you'll be fine. The whirlpool action of the dispensing siphon will mix the priming solution well enough as is.

OP
M

MCH

Reaction score
Two weeks today and very little carbonation so far. Will wait for another week, though.

Latest posts