how hot should the water be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Ok, getting ready to do a partial mash beer. 4 1/2 lb of grain at 150-155*F for mashing, and 175*F for sparge.

How hot should the mash water (and sparge water) be? I think that I had read that the mash water should be HOTTER than 150-155*F, because the grain will cool it off some when they come together in the mash tun.

For 4 1/2 lb of grain, I'm planning on using approx. 6 quarts (maybe a touch less) water.

Also, how much water should I sparge with? I'm planning on batch sparging.

Thanks for advice!

I just ran the numbers through ProMash and you should heat the water to 166º. That's figuring 4 1/2 pounds of grain and 6 quarts of water. If you are using a converted cooler pre-heat the MLT with hot water and drain. Then over shoot the strike temp by a couple degrees and let it drop to 166º. If you are doing this in a brew put just heat the water to 166º and be ready to apply heat when the temp drops.

You will need 2 to 2 1/2 gallons of sparge water.

RichBrewer said:
I just ran the numbers through ProMash and you should heat the water to 166º. That's figuring 4 1/2 pounds of grain and 6 quarts of water. If you are using a converted cooler pre-heat the MLT with hot water and drain. Then over shoot the strike temp by a couple degrees and let it drop to 166º. If you are doing this in a brew put just heat the water to 166º and be ready to apply heat when the temp drops.

You will need 2 to 2 1/2 gallons of sparge water.

thanks much. how do I calculate these numbers without promash?

In Howtobrew.com, I'm pretty sure he shows all the math for the calculations. I'm not intelligent enough to do it myself, though.

I use Beersmith to figure mine. But once you know your system, it does get easier each time.

Back