How hot is too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Okay, I finally brewed again on Labor Day, the first time since my son was born way back in February. Unfortunately, due to all the... stuff of his taking up real estate in every room in the house, my previous routines have been a bit disrupted. I ended up stowing my carboys in my beer closet for fermentation, but they stayed a little warmer than usual.

I made a Hefe-weizen with WLP300 and an Imperial Porter with WLP013.

Both of them were fermenting around 74ºF-78ºF for a couple days, though they've now cooled down to abuot 72ºF.

Have I pushed the envelope too far on these? I'm pretty sure the Hefe-weizen will be okay, if a bit heavy on the banana, but I'm slightly concerned about the Porter. Anyone have any experience with high end fermentations?

It is pushed a bit. You should experience more bananna flavor and some esters that may subside in a bit. I had a simular issue a few months back. I can taste the difference I think more because I knew what happened but when I share with friends they really enjoy it. Take it for it's worth, enjoy it, you made beer but next time keep it a bit cooler and compare

Back