How Hot is too Hot for Cellar Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoritzasu

Reaction score
All,

Looked on the interwebs, plus this site, and could not get a consensus as to the answer to the question asked in the title. I just moved to a warm climate and we have a guest house in our backyard. I've decided to use this as a temporary storage facility for my homebrew until I can get my garage up and running. The problem I'm facing is that the guest house is kept at 80ºF all day long. I don't want to turn the AC lower because our cooling bill is already bending me over. The beers have been out there for two months and I won't be able to get around to insulating the garage until October. My question is this...

Is 80ºF too hot for my beer cellaring? Is this doing harm to my homebrews and "vintage" beers? I have a collection of all styles and I really hope the temperature isn't ruining my collection. Has anyone stored beer at this high of temperature for an extended period?

And before anyone asks, NO I don't have room in our main house for the beer. Thanks for your input.

For pharmaceuticals (and other things), there are accelerated aging calculators which you can use. What you'll find is that leaving a beer around 80F for 1.5 months is similar to leaving it in a refrigerator for a year. 80F for three months is on par with 55F for a year.

Back