How High OG to reuse Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewDecadeBrewery

Reaction score
1. I've been looking around and haven't found a definitive answer to this question (if there even is one) but how high of an og can you go with reusing yeast?

I have a lager yeast that I have saved from my last ferment that was 1052 og. Is this too high to reuse? The beer tastes great no off flavors. I know the safest recommendation is to reuse yeast made from a starter of between 1030 to 1040 og.

2. The second question I have is if I have stressed yeast, like from a high abv ferment (whether that's 1052 or 1080, etc.) is it possible to "pitch down" into a starter with the appropriate starting gravity (1030 to 1040), possibly or probably with some nutrient to re-establish health and optimum viability to the yeast colony? Or does this just not work in that way?

3. What type of results has anyone had when dealing with any of the previously mentioned questions?

4. Let me just say that I have had good results repitching yeasts around the 1050 - 1060 range, which includes contest results. Some may think I've answered my own question here but I am always striving to improve my process, so I want to hear what others have to say and their experiences. If I have had good results to me it doesn't mean it wasn't a "happy accident" etc. I am just trying to refine my process, to understand why I might make certain refinements, and always to try and be a better brewer.

The ROT is to not reuse yeast from a 1.060 or over OG. Being a yeast abuser, I push that to 1.070ish.

I like your style! I have read a lot about how hard yeast can be pushed in terms of storage time, re-use etc and I am a believer in the yeast. They're amazing organisms.

What about that second part anyone; can abused yeast be "made whole" again by dropping them in a non-offensive mild gravity starter wort with some nutrients and a prayer, loving thoughts, etc.?

Sorry, missed the second part. Yeah, you can usually take a bit of yeast from a higher gravity brew and use it t make a new starter. You want it to be a small low gravity (maybe 1.020ish) starter and step it up after it ferments out.

Sorry, missed the second part. Yeah, you can usually take a bit of yeast from a higher gravity brew and use it t make a new starter. You want it to be a small low gravity (maybe 1.020ish) starter and step it up after it ferments out.

I've often wondered this so that is good to know. So, if you pitch some beat up/damaged that is still alive yeast to a small starter the buds will resemble the original cells more or less? Is this kind of like a man who lost his leg later in life having children who will obviously have both legs because it wasn't a genetic disposition?

As Denny noted, you can make a starter and get fresh viable yeast, but you can't get back to the original yeast properties.

Your brewing, fermenting, and yeast handling practices result in selecting certain properties from the yeast and in certain mutations. The yeast you get at the end of a brew is different from the yeast you started with. Using reasonable practices, the changes will be small, but the more you stress the yeast, the greater the changes. Yeast used in a high gravity beer have worked hard, and been stressed, and will certainly have changed. Will you notice the difference? Maybe, maybe not.

Back