How have you injured yourself brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While cleaning/ sanitizing... dropped my 8 gallon SS potlid off the counter and onto my bare foot (edge first).... cracked nail in half and wouldn't stop bleeding 12 hours later... 4 stitches and a removed toenail later... (I just removed a band-aid before taking this pic... haha sorry it looks nasty)

I finished the Black IPA and still waiting for results... Better be a good one!:cross:

photo (2).jpg

While cleaning/ sanitizing... dropped my 8 gallon SS potlid off the counter and onto my bare foot (edge first).... cracked nail in half and wouldn't stop bleeding 12 hours later... 4 stitches and a removed toenail later... (I just removed a band-aid before taking this pic... haha sorry it looks nasty)

I finished the Black IPA and still waiting for results... Better be a good one!:cross:

What are you naming it, Toesmasher? :D

Ouch I bet that got your attention. Now just to name the beer like what Sierra Nevada is doing with their DevESTATEtion ale.

I use a 2 step stool to stir my mash. I stepped too far back and missed the lower step once. Momentary twinge in my lower back.

And got a sore wrist once while browsing HBT during the mash.

I made DIY candi sugar once and after getting it up to about 300°F as the recipe said I decided that to make adding it to the fermenter later easier I would add some water back to make a syrup instead of rocks. Well I added the water way to fast and it instantly boiled and erupted 300°F syrup out of the pot and a large glob landed right on my bare foot. Had a huge boil on that and couldn't walk properly with shoes on for a couple of weeks!

Not exactly brewing, but I was delivering some homebrews to people who participated in a workshop at my house, and the cooler fell off the back of my truck into the street when I exited my driveway. I didn't want to leave broken glass in the road so I hopped out to pick up what I could. Traffic stopped one way to let me enter the road and there was no traffic the other way. I bent down, scooped the big chunks into the cooler, and grabbed the one intact bottle. When I stood up, a mac truck was bearing down on me from the direction where they had no traffic! I rushed to get out of the way and tripped in front of the stopped line of cars. The intact bottle smashed into my right hand and broke, severing a tendon, and artery, and a bunch of nerves. The first car in the stopped line was full of disabled adults and their caretakers and they were able to turniquet me and call 911. I have never seen so much blood in my life. I was rushed to the hospital where they did emergency repairs. I was out of work for EIGHT WEEKS!! This was back in May. I still have not too much feeling or strength in my thumb although I have pretty decent mobility back. It was a life threatening experience that I still wake up shivering in the dark from and I am hoping my husband gets me a kegging system for my birthday at the end of the month so I never have to deal with glass bottles again!!

Bottle bomb in my hand. You know that scene from the beginning of saving private Ryan? The bomb shell loud noise, a fading in whine/ringing, then back to 'normal'. That's a real thing. Luckily just a few stitches in my hand. Could've been much worse.

Be safe and stay thirsty my friends

Bottle bomb in my hand. You know that scene from the beginning of saving private Ryan? The bomb shell loud noise, a fading in whine/ringing, then back to 'normal'. That's a real thing. Luckily just a few stitches in my hand. Could've been much worse.

Be safe and stay thirsty my friends

Its called "shell shock"...VERY scary story!
Glass could have punctured your chest!

Dislocate my knee brewing a stout last night. It better be good. It's about the 25:th time I have dislocated one of my knees so I am fairly used to it. From know on I will clean up all of my wort spills immediately, lesson learned.

In honor of the tragic accident I will name my beer "The Dislocator". Now I just need to come up with a gruesome bottle label.

Its called "shell shock"...VERY scary story!
Glass could have punctured your chest!

Yes, my fathers freind had bottles explode in his kitchen when he was out of the room, aparently there were shards of glass stuck in the back of the door we he went to check out what that load bang was...

A couple of weeks ago I was lifting my kettle into an ice bath and my had slipped off the handle. The kettle dropped down, hit the burner, and directed 200 degree wort onto my feet. I mostly had second degree burns on both feet and a strong desire to purchase rubber boots.
20140116_143540.jpg

Wow, I've gotten a couple of burns while brewing, but nothing near that bad.

Hoping you have a fast recovery! :mug:

monkeeroot that is horrific. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

I'm seeing a couple trends here. The first is that heat will do things you didn't expect it to - wort chillers appear to be one of the major culprits. Should I expand to have one I think I'm going to put the water flowing step ahead of the immersion. The other is that feet are always in danger. Combat boots or good old farmer rubbers. I'd feel a little strange walking around my condo in either but it looks like safety shall reign supreme.

Personally I haven't been doing this long enough to end up injuring myself in any way worth mentioning. I think stubbing my toe on the table leg when placing my bucket on top is just about it aside from the standard bumping into things and perils of washing dishes.

In honor of the tragic accident I will name my beer "The Dislocator". Now I just need to come up with a gruesome bottle label.

Might I suggest a background image?
IndianJOrthop_2010_44_4_438_69318_t6.jpg

source

A couple of weeks ago I was lifting my kettle into an ice bath and my had slipped off the handle. The kettle dropped down, hit the burner, and directed 200 degree wort onto my feet. I mostly had second degree burns on both feet and a strong desire to purchase rubber boots.
20140116_143540.jpg

Oh god. This is horrible. I hope you recover fast.

20140116_143540.jpg

I saw this and ET just said "Oucccch"

Burned my hand grabbing the bottom skirt of my keggle. I had used my CFC to recirculate wort down to 80degF for 10 minutes. Even 15 minutes after flame out, that skirt was still VERY hot.

Burned my hand grabbing the bottom skirt of my keggle. I had used my CFC to recirculate wort down to 80degF for 10 minutes. Even 15 minutes after flame out, that skirt was still VERY hot.

I did that too, but I didn't get much of a grip, just enough to hear the callouses sizzle a bit.

My lord man, seriously making me reconsider my barefoot brewing habit. I think I'll maintain my [probably ignorant] opinion that socks and any shoes that aren't rubber will trap boiling liquid against my skin until I can get them off. Though barefoot does suck on the subfreezing brew days. Don't know how some of you brewers do it.

Steel toe leather work boots are your friends

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Burnt the crap out of my hand yesterday when brewing my Hard Apple...NOTHING like the pic above though....ouch!!

I had a thunderstorm blow up just before flame-out last summer and tried to move the boiling BK out of the rain. It's pretty difficult to maintain an ergonomic lift position when the item being lifted is that hot. Given that I had already injured my back earlier that week (playing volleyball), I ended up with a herniated disk. Many months of pain later, and I finally had surgery a few weeks ago.

Now I'm counting down the days until I can brew again using my new pump and rolling rig. . . Never again will I lift a full BK or MLT!

A friend and I where in my basement brewing, turn'd on the water for the coil chiller and had water flow to high. I was standing in front of the floor drain and the hose from chiller when the super heated water and stem shot out of the hose, Burning my foot, knowing that I had to get my shoe off I jumps in the air trying to kick it off and ended up on my back on the floor. All this while my friend was laughing and finnaly taking pictures of me on the floor.

Gotta love brew buddy's

Steel toe leather work boots are your friends

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think I'll be getting some rubber boots next trip to the hardware store. IMO leather steel toed work boots don't keep rain out so boiling wort will be no different.

A friend and I where in my basement brewing, turn'd on the water for the coil chiller and had water flow to high. I was standing in front of the floor drain and the hose from chiller when the super heated water and stem shot out of the hose, Burning my foot, knowing that I had to get my shoe off I jumps in the air trying to kick it off and ended up on my back on the floor. All this while my friend was laughing and finnaly taking pictures of me on the floor.

Gotta love brew buddy's

A perfect reason of "no home brew for him!"

I've been fortunate (knock on wood) and haven't suffered any major injuries yet. However, it seems every brew day I somehow manage to cut my hand on something stainless steel. Brewing equipment is SHARP! Whether it's the threads on a compression fitting, some frayed stainless filter mesh, a sharp edge of a worm clamp or my plate chiller, or even just a "paper cut" from aluminum foil, I'm always walking away with a bandaid on a knuckle. It's annoying. Anyone else have similar experience, or is it just me?

I always forget that the handles on my BK are hot while heating the strike/sparge water and grab them barehanded. Only then do I remember why I keep a pair of snowboarding gloves handy. Then I do it again at the end of the boil.

I've been fortunate (knock on wood) and haven't suffered any major injuries yet. However, it seems every brew day I somehow manage to cut my hand on something stainless steel. Brewing equipment is SHARP! Whether it's the threads on a compression fitting, some frayed stainless filter mesh, a sharp edge of a worm clamp or my plate chiller, or even just a "paper cut" from aluminum foil, I'm always walking away with a bandaid on a knuckle. It's annoying. Anyone else have similar experience, or is it just me?

Any time I work with sheet metal with out wearing gloves. Usually not home brewing (knock on wood).

Worst I had was having hot water coming from the out on my chiller coil spray all over my right abdomen, chest and arm. The skin blistered up pretty bad. It was quite painful, but I managed to get the batch finished and everything cleaned up before my wife came home and saw the burns.

I think I'll be getting some rubber boots next trip to the hardware store. IMO leather steel toed work boots don't keep rain out so boiling wort will be no different.
Mink oil. Usually comes in a small cylinder near the shoe polish, sometimes with an applicator pad. It's congealed at room temp, don't be looking for something liquidy as other oils. It works marvelous. In the rain after applying it (even weeks after) water will bead up and roll off. I have some 14" tall leather boots I oiled and I can walk in a foot of water with bone dry feet. I fell in love with the stuff and haven't even thought of using a different treatment since. Also moisturizes hands well.

Not a brewing injury, more of a grilling injury. I dropped a simple table fork on my pinky toe last night. Didn't think anything of it because, heck, it's just a FORK. Then I looked down and saw that there was a silver dollar sized blood stain on my sock. Patched it up and, when I woke up, the toe is red and blue and swollen as heck with two little puncture wounds on the top.

I suppose the physics makes sense - focus all the force of a falling fork into two tines, and whatever's under those two tines will get hurt. Anyway, it's just a very odd surprising injury.

When I was 20, I was using a corny keg for the first time. I was also several homebrews in. I made a mistake in how I attached the various hoses (still unclear what I did). There was a huge pop, and a plastic adapter shot off the keg and hit me in the chin. It left a deep cut and a scar, and I was deaf for several minutes from the noise.

Lesson: Drink less when handling things under pressure you don't understand.

I've never injured myself brewing, but I did with my batch of mead. I was loosening the leftover honey in the bottles with some hot - okay, boiling - water. It splashed on my bare foot, and I was burned. The mead is now at the end of month one of post-ferment conditioning. If I'm satisfied with the clarity, I'll bottle. Can't be tonight, because everyone else decided to take over my house, and my basement is completely inaccessible.

Latest posts

Back