How gentle do I need to be moving to primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
I need to move a batch to a secondary container to age. However, there is stuff floating on the top that I would like to filter out. I have a funnel with a fine filter.

Can I just siphon through the funnel into the carboy?

I think the beer will splash around alot. However, I plan to let it age for a couple of months.

Do you think that will be ok?

NO! No splashing at all. don't give the beer any opportunity to aerate. It'll ruin the beer!

If you feel that there are too many floating things you can sanitize a hops bag or grain bag and put that on the siphon end that goes into the primary. You don't have to, though. Just try to avoid the floaties, and make sure you have the end of the tubing at the very bottom of the receiving carboy, so that it doesn't splash at all. All the floaties will sink with time anyway, so don't worry about them.

NO! No splashing at all. don't give the beer any opportunity to aerate. It'll ruin the beer!

If you feel that there are too many floating things you can sanitize a hops bag or grain bag and put that on the siphon end that goes into the primary. You don't have to, though. Just try to avoid the floaties, and make sure you have the end of the tubing at the very bottom of the receiving carboy, so that it doesn't splash at all. All the floaties will sink with time anyway, so don't worry about them.

Thanks. I do have a grain bag laying around. Can I just spray some StarSan on it and roll?

Just carefully rack into secondary - most of the floaties will not make it into the secondary and what does will settle out and your beer will be nice and clear. Your racking cane should have a tip on it that will keep it off the trub. It's really not necessary to strain or filter, but if you feel you must a sanitized hops bag will work. I find it more pain than it's worth.

If the "floaties" are in clumps and not distributed all across the surface, you could sanitize a turkey baster and just suck 'em up.

Frankly, I'd just gently transfer and ignore the clumps. Chances are the trip through the hose will break them apart a bit and they should settle to the bottom of the secondary (which is what the secondary is supposed to do, right?)

I'd rather have that then risk infecting or aerating the beer.

Back