How fast will a 3500w element heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennihana

Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone knows or knows where to find how fast the different elements will heat up 5-10 gallons of water.

what i am specifically looking for is 3500w to heat up about 8 gallons. I am bulding a kettle and my outlet options and amperages only allow for 1
2000w element and 1 1500w element. I am going electric and to a single vessel biab system specifically to save me time in the brew day so i am looking for the fastest way to heat my strike water and then up to a boil.

thanks

There's a spreadsheet about for that, here.

Or you can do the calculation by hand (in SI units is easier!). You need 4.2 Joules to heat 1 ml of water by 1 °C, so heating 30 litres (8 gal) from 11°C (52 °F) to 71 °C (160 °F) strike temperature needs 7.6 MJ, or 2160 seconds (36 minutes) from a 3500W heat source. Plus a bit for losses and inefficiencies.

There's a spreadsheet about for that, here.

Or you can do the calculation by hand (in SI units is easier!). You need 4.2 Joules to heat 1 ml of water by 1 °C, so heating 30 litres (8 gal) from 11°C (52 °F) to 71 °C (160 °F) strike temperature needs 7.6 MJ, or 2160 seconds (36 minutes) from a 3500W heat source. Plus a bit for losses and inefficiencies.

Per this instructable you loose more heat as your temperature goes up, and the guy's article makes since. The entire article is based on 10 gallon batches.

I emailed the author a while ago and asked if he could re-do his calculations for 5 gallon batches. He emailed me back three days later stating "Sorry, can't help, I'm too busy building controllers. Maybe I can post a 5 gallon version later this year".

thanks, i think from those two links i will be able to pick out what i need.

Back