How Fast is Too Fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahsndpro

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm just a paranoid noob, but I have to run my situation by the people here:

I brewed a pale ale yesterday. I pitched the yeast at around 4pm. The temparature was and has remained at approximately 68 degrees. I came home around 2am and the bubbler was already going strong. I think it was about every 4-5 seconds.

By now (6pm the next day) the bubbles are only coming through about every 20-25 seconds. I worried that it is fermenting too fast!

My question is: am I in trouble or is this the standard progression? Am I just being paranoid? Please help! :)

Thank you in advance!

ahsndpro said:
I'm sure I'm just a paranoid noob, but I have to run my situation by the people here:

I brewed a pale ale yesterday. I pitched the yeast at around 4pm. The temparature was and has remained at approximately 68 degrees. I came home around 2am and the bubbler was already going strong. I think it was about every 4-5 seconds.

By now (6pm the next day) the bubbles are only coming through about every 20-25 seconds. I worried that it is fermenting too fast!

My question is: am I in trouble or is this the standard progression? Am I just being paranoid? Please help! :)

Thank you in advance!

Paranoid. Relax. HB is 90% patience.

Yeah, my first batch was an Amber APA extract batch that I used 2 packs of Coopers on. The water blew out of the bucket airlock and was done in 24 hrs (more or less). I remember being really concerned and broody. But it was truly done, looking back I can say that.

TheJadedDog said:
What yeast strain was it? I've had some dry yeast ferment in 24 hours with no problems.

I'm not totally sure what yeast strain it is. It's a dry yeast and the package says "Safbrew S-33" and I think the company is LaSaffre.

I'm glad to hear that this isn't guaranteed disaster...

So if the bubbles have stopped is it time to rack it to the secondary or should I keep it in the primary for the remainder of Week 1? I don't want to be too anxious but it would give me something to do today :)

Thanks again.

Back