How far will Brett go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
Backstory:

My wife brewed her first solo beer on our beer rig (I left detailed instructions, but had to run errands, which was fine with her). She forgot to cut the heat to the MLT when she was doughing in, and by the time she realized it and cut the heat, the mast was up to 175-180ish. I told her to add some ice, and we ended up mashing for 2 hrs after getting it back down to where it was supposed to be. This took a while though.

Brewed 2/4/2012
OG: 1.080

On 2/29, we pitched the brett (which variant I forget as well) because the sach strain (I also forget which at this point) could not get it lower than 1.050.

The carboy sat around 68* in our little closet, and we tried it again yesterday (6/3). Down to 1.022.

This is our first time playing with Brett. Admittedly I have not done a large amount of research, but will Brett go further? Where does it stop? For the time being we just put another airlock on it and put it back in the closet. Will this drop out if cold crashed?

Brett can metabolize almost anything organic if given enough time. I suspect you didn't get good conversion out of the mash so you ended up with a lot of starch. Brett will break down the starches to sugar and then ferment it. That beer should go very close to 1.000. You have a long way to go.

You can cold crash the beer but it won't necessarily drop all the brett. Normally if you are trying to clear brett you need to rack off the trub, add sulfites for 24 hours, then cold crash. However, you should taste the beer before you think about trying to stop fermentation just based on gravity. The stuff left in the beer keeping the gravity above 1.000 may be unconverted starches that will taste like you mixed flour in your beer. On the other hand, you may find the brett flavor overwhelming.

Back