How far off the bottom and quick connect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alz28

Reaction score
OK fellas lets start of with my "short" story. Befor I begin let me post what I need to know befor I tell my story so you don't need to read the whole post befor I get to the point. How far off the bottom in a rectangular MLT should my false bottom be and dose anyone know of a source for a quick connect for my dip tube. Now for the story. I started my all grain with a cooler brewing 10 gal at a time. I decided to buy a 30 gal Boilermaker and upgraded my cooler as well as my copper manifold to do 20 gal batches. Fellas this worked great untill my new cooler cracked due to over tightening the valve, but I had to do so to keep it from leaking. I have a gravity fed system and I didn't want to change that so I had a 304 stainless rectangle tank made to fit my copper manifold to a T. Well did my first batch two weeks ago and the gravity was 1.045. I was getting 1.050 out of my cooler with the same manifold. The only thing I did diffrent was I drilled the hole for the valve higher the the pre made hole in the cooler. I did this just in case I wanted to upgrade to a false bottome one day. Well I think drilling the valve hole for the maniflod higher screwed with vacume or syphoning of my MLT. I am about to order my stainless for my false bottom and I also want to order some stainless square tubing to lay around the edges of my MLT for the false bottom to set on. So how high off the bottom should I set the false bottom and also any links to some quick disconnects for my dip tube would be great. I'm thinking that the quick disconnect in my Boilermaker might work and might order one from Blitchmen. Thanks for any help fellas

Al

Al
As far as I can tell you really want the outlet as low as you can get it. That is not to say that drilling it higher is going to affect anything really, I mean, you are using a dip tube correct? If your not using a dip tube you are leaving some of the sugars on the bottom of the MLT. I have a few products that just might be able to help you out. Are you using a coupling inside the MLT? If so shoot me a PM I think I might be able to help.

20 gallon batches huh? Well done!

Cheers
Jay

Right now I am using a 1/2 inch copper manifold with 1/2 inch copper running to the valve that is threaded onto the bulk head (no dip tube). I think when I drilled the hole for the bulk head I drilled it to high. I did this in case I wanted to fit a false bottom with a dip tube in the MLT in the future. I think if I lay my false bottom a inch off the bottom I should be fine. I also have a dip tube out of my kegel that will fit the bulk head in my MLT. The only problem is that the dip tube will have a threaded comperssion fitting. I would like to see if I can find some type of clamp or quick connect fitting to put on my dip tube.

Back