How easy it to culture commericial yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying to culture some yeast from a Hacker Pschorr bottle.

So basically, you pour the beer out except for about a 1/4 inch, burn the bottle lip with a lighter, then pour the stuff into a starter?

Is this pretty much it?

It is very easy, I just leave the last bit in the bottles and them to a starter. Easy as pie I do it a lot with Bells yeast.

Like Riclark said,

Make a starter with the bottom inch. Make sure it is fresh. Why use a lighter?

I thought I read somewhere that to do this, it must be done from only bottle conditioned beer because filtered and pasturized beer would have no viable yeast. Is that the case?

Second Question. Can you keep culturing the yeast or does it deteriorate over subsequent uses?

Dennis

I thought I read somewhere that to do this, it must be done from only bottle conditioned beer because filtered and pasturized beer would have no viable yeast. Is that the case?

Second Question. Can you keep culturing the yeast or does it deteriorate over subsequent uses?

Dennis

It has to be bottle conditioned beers with the sediment at the bottom. I have dumped wort onto a harvested cake before and it was fine I probably wouldnt do it more than once because the yeast eventually gets pooped out.

It is very easy, I just leave the last bit in the bottles and them to a starter. Easy as pie I do it a lot with Bells yeast.

I am looking into making an Oberon clone. From what I have read the yeast that they use is very important. Oberon goes on sale on March 30th. If I buy a 6-pack would that be enough to get the starter going? How long after the starter is finished and in the fridge do I have until the starter is no longer viable?

I am looking into making an Oberon clone. From what I have read the yeast that they use is very important. Oberon goes on sale on March 30th. If I buy a 6-pack would that be enough to get the starter going? How long after the starter is finished and in the fridge do I have until the starter is no longer viable?

You should only do it if your planing on brewing soon after. I have found that the harvested yeast starters turn sour and unusable. 1 Six pack of oberon is pleanty.

You should only do it if your planing on brewing soon after. I have found that the harvested yeast starters turn sour and unusable. 1 Six pack of oberon is pleanty.

Thanks! I will collect the yeast early to middle of the week that I am brewing and then I will brew it on the weekend.

Btw, care to share your Oberon clone? I am doing extract so if it is an all-grain recipe I can convert it in Beersmith.

So can I just use the little bit that is left in the bottle? Just pour a bit of wort in and put a stopper on there?

So can I just use the little bit that is left in the bottle? Just pour a bit of wort in and put a stopper on there?

You can do that but I would use the little bit in another bottle just to make sure you have enough, then throw some tin foil over the bottle neck.

So yesterday I poured a bottle of Hacker Pschorr.. left about a 1/4 inch and swirled around the yeast in the bottom.

Then I boiled 6oz of water with 1oz of DME, cooled it and put it in the bottle with an airlock on it.

I'll report back how it turns out.

Since I messed thiso one up^

I tried it again..

I took the leftover yeast from a Hacker Pschorr bottle and put it in a 1 gallon jug with 16oz of Apple Juice.

Im going to let it go for a bit, then dump it into a 1 gallon of apple juice and try to make apple wein.

Back