how does this sound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
Once my fermentation is complete and my gravity is steady I want to move my american micro ale into my refrigerator to sit at 49F while the yeast settles and. I still have some krausen so I wont be taking my gravity reading for a week or so but Im estimating, again just estimating, that fermentation will be done in approx 7-9 days. Am I better off leaving it at 70F instead of my planned 49F? Just wanted to see what the cold would do to the clarity.

cold crashing will help with clearing the beer, but I would allow your beer to sit in primary at 70ish for at least 3-4 weeks. The yeast will clean up any off flavors produced during fermentation. At that point, cold crashing for a few days is great for settling the yeast. It makes racking much nicer too since all the yeast is compacted at the bottom.

Your yeast won't continue to clean up if you drop the temp, you actually may want to raise the temps a little bit to keep them active. Once they are done cleaning up, then you can move to the fridge (cold crash) and get the beer down as close to freezing as possible to get a clearer beer.

Back