How does this pale ale look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
I might brew this recipe this weekend if the RIS i'm going to brew doesn't tire me out. I was wondering what you guys thought and if you would add/subtract anything.

8lbs Pale Malt (I might use marris otter here)
2lbs Munich Malt
.5lbs Crystal Malt (not sure what I am going to use here, either 60 or 40)
.5lbs Honey
.5lbs Carapils (not sure if I am going to use or not)

.75 oz Centennial 60min
.5 oz Centennial 20 min
.5 oz Centennial 10 min
.25 oz Centennial 0 min

1 tsp. Irish Moss 10 min.

1 package US-05

This was my first attempt at making my own recipe, but I am a big boy, so don't hold any punches.

If it were me I'd lose the honey and crystal.

+1. No need for either. MO would be nice as a base malt- it's one of my favs. You could make this a SMaSH- 10 lbs of MO with your Centennial.

I would keep 1/4 lb. of the crystal and 1/4 carapils, but lose the honey and the rest of the crystal. The munich will make it nice and malty. If you use the MO, I'd drop the crystal altogether.

Ok I think I might change the grain bill a bit. Let me know what you think of this one.

8lbs Marris Otter Malt
2lbs Vienna Malt
.5lbs Crystal 60 Malt
.5lbs Honey
.5lbs Carapils (not sure if I am going to use or not)

Otherwise I am thinking of this.

8lbs Pale 2-row Malt
2lbs Munich Malt
.5lbs Crystal 60 Malt

What do you think?

Yeah, that's a clean, simple grain bill. I love Munich in a pale ale, it gives you a real nice malty backbone without being too sweet. You can almost get into "amber ale" turf when you start using ~3 pounds, but you still have a beer that can be very crisp, not sweet/cloying.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a simple grain bill for this type of beer.

Back