How does this Imp Oatmeal Stout look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpenoso

Reaction score
Never mind the hops just the Ibus. I would be using 1056 with this. This is my first huge beer I just want to make sure I do it right I guess. I will be toasting the oats. Its for 5.5g.
I would like it to be on the roaster side but not over the top. Anything I need to watch out for when making a beer like this? thanks

1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.35 %
17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.91 %
2.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
2.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 65.7 IBU
2.00 oz exp#1 [15.00 %] (30 min) Hops 44.2 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 8.5 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.106 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.106 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.027 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.46 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 11.31 %
Bitterness: 118.4 IBU Calories: 499 cal/pint

A few thoughts.

First, I'd personally skip the rice hulls. If you're trying to boost your efficiency with them, fine. You're not going to have a stuck sparge from 9% flaked oats. I'd save them for a beer that runs the risk of actually getting stuck.

Your OG is over 1.100 and you're shooting for a FG of 1.020. That's incredible attenuation you're aiming for. 1056 could theoretically get you there -- but it's unlikely. Regardless of what yeast strain you use, you're going to need to deliver a lot of healthy, active yeast. A washed yeast cake from a lower gravity beer would be your best bet, a massive multistage starter would be a close second.

You're going to need to aerate this beer properly. I'd aerate at least twice. Once at the pitch, once 18 hrs into fermentation. A third aeration at ~24 hrs wouldn't be out of the question as there will still be a majority of fermentation left for the yeast to pull off with lots of cell walls to build and oxygen to consume.

I'd back down the BUs to around 85-90. I'd also keep the later kettle additions to a minimum. This beer is going to be all about the flavors of roasty/sweet malt and fruity alcohols. Late kettle additions are going to be lost in the monumental malt bill. Also consider the future of this beer. No doubt you plan on aging it for a year and beyond. Your finishing hops will drop off long before this beer hits its stride.

Consider upping the roast barley or adding an ounce or two of black malt. You're going to want a heavy roast flavor in the beer, not a weak coffee flavor. Similar to the finishing hops dropping off with time, the roasty edge of the darkest malts will soften with age as well. Planning for this with extra dark malts in the mix will allow the beer to age beautifully and not lose its powerful roasted character.

Oak is great in RIS, bourbon soaked is grand. I like to dose my RIS's with blackstrap molasses. 0.75-1.0 lbs of the stuff lends a great dimension of flavor to the beer, lightens the body ever so slightly, and improves the fermentability/attenuation of the beer. I like to simmer mine in water for a minute and dump it into the fermentor around day 4 of fermentation.

Lastly, use a fermentor with as much headspace as you can muster. Lots of protein in big worts like this, you don't want to lose a gallon of beer through your blowoff tube. Splitting a 5 gallon batch in two 5 gallon fermentors insn't a bad idea for the first week.

Good luck and happy brewing. Remember, when it comes to Russian Imperial Stouts: there's no such thing as too epic... almost ;)

+1 on the molasses! I used it to prime an oatmeal stout and the added touch of complexity really took it to the next level!

Latest posts

Back