How does this fermentation look like to more experienced home brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started my second batch: Imperial blond ale. Fermentation looks completely different as the first (American Ale). Lots os stuff floating this time (day 1 of fermentation) Might be normal? My OG was 1060 (a little low) any comments/remarks would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 89AF71D6-4CE6-4796-8FA2-E9DDB5F34AAB.jpeg
    89AF71D6-4CE6-4796-8FA2-E9DDB5F34AAB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
Started my second batch: Imperial blond ale. Fermentation looks completely different as the first (American Ale). Lots os stuff floating this time (day 1 of fermentation) Might be normal? My OG was 1060 (a little low) any comments/remarks would be much appreciated!

Looks fine to me. Let us know how it turns out!

How does it normally take for the airlock to start "bubbling"? It has been 3 days now, and absolutely no movement.. The liquid is changing color etc, so seems OK? Just wait a few more days?

Air lock activity is not an indicator of fermentation, i have had several batches with no air lock activity at all , should be done fermenting in about 2 weeks, check your gravity with a hydrometer, same reading 2 days apart it's ready to bottle

Cheers

That krausen suggests your plastic carboy cap is leaking CO2.
I have a pair of carboys I pitched last night that now sport comparatively vestigial krausens but are pumping out enough CO2 to make the bottle at the end of my keg purging system bubble under a couple of inches of water pressure...

Cheers!

That krausen suggests your plastic carboy cap is leaking CO2.
I have a pair of carboys I pitched last night that now sport comparatively vestigial krausens but are pumping out enough CO2 to make the bottle at the end of my keg purging system bubble under a couple of inches of water pressure...

Cheers!
This is how it looks now:

Attachments

• 7A51B015-95CE-48F3-A91F-3EEB353689CB.jpeg
    7A51B015-95CE-48F3-A91F-3EEB353689CB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
And here are my two carboys, pitched with 1318 that was top-cropped from a Juicy Bits batch.
They just got going around 3 this afternoon, and that krausen isn't even a quarter inch...

View attachment 707047

...yet they are actively fermenting...

Cheers!

This morning my airlock is "bubbling" nicely! Guess I just had to be a little more patient! Will keep you posted!

Back