how does one moniter FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djlunchbox

Reaction score
specificly, how do you not introduce bad stuff when trying to take a sample? if i want to check my fermentation progress, and i am using a 6.5 gal bucket with a blow off tube, am i just supposed to crack it open and pull a sample ? i use "the thief" to pull samples. i just don't want to introduce bacteria from the air. all my stuff will be sanitized with star-san before i start. is this the best way?

I'm a noob, but I wouldn't worry so much about it. First of all, don't check it until the airlock has stopped bubbling (or pretty close, less than one a minute). Then check the SG -but don't freak out, sanitary and sterile are very different things. -if you have alcohol and active fermentation (even recently active fermentation) you aren't likely to get an infection in the few moments it takes to take a sample.

When you take your first reading, insteand of tossing it pour it into an empty bottle. I don't worry about sanitizing it and I just plug the top with a paper towel (an infection is a sample bottle is not a big deal). I keep the bottle right on top of may primary bucket. When I want a gravity reading I just pour from the bottle, take the reading and pour in back.

Presuming you aren't opening the bucket every 20 minutes, there should be a cloud of CO2 on top of your beer that will do a pretty good job of keeping anything out. Just make sure you clean and sanitize your thief before you stick it in there.

If you do check gravity during fermentation just make sure that everything is sanitized and don't put the sample back into the fermentor. Try to limit testing to the bare minimum to minimize the chance of infection. We generally won't check gravity until we keg. We pitch enough healthy yeast, pay attention to fermentation activity, and let it ferment for 2.5 to 3 weeks before kegging. Only once have we had a lame fermentation and we knew it because we were paying attention. We added more yeast, checked the gravity often, got an infection, and dumped the beer. Moral of the story: don't screw with it unless you have to.

When you take your first reading, insteand of tossing it pour it into an empty bottle. I don't worry about sanitizing it and I just plug the top with a paper towel (an infection is a sample bottle is not a big deal). I keep the bottle right on top of may primary bucket. When I want a gravity reading I just pour from the bottle, take the reading and pour in back.
ah, thats a good idea;)

I go even simpler, I just leave the sample in the tube and set it next to the fermenter. If it gets gunked up (it will), I pour it into a glass, clean the tube and hydrometer, pour it back.

despite what you might of read you only need to take SG readings at the start before you add yeast and 2-3 weeks after pitching and then maybe 3 days after that if you think the fermentation is stuck.

the more you touch it the more you risk getting baddies in your brew. by the time you have reached your FG the alcohol content of your brew will keep most baddies at bay. but of course this depends how much alcohol is in your brew. also the hops act as a preservative to keep the baddies under control.

but to answer your question. yes what you do is just fine. sanitize your equipment before taking a sample.

A couple of points:

1. Don't worry about opening the fermenter. Just be careful stuff doesn't drop in. I don't even try to seal my plastic-bucket fermenters; I have a couple of sheets of 1/8" clear Plexiglas I sanitize and just let rest over the mouth of the bucket.

2. If you intend to monitor your ferment by sampling and measuring with a hydrometer, the only proper technique is to take a fresh sample each time. Separate gravity samples do not work the same as sampling the batch. The smaller separate ferment is not indicative of what's going on inside the fermenter as there is no way to control the two ferments such that they will move in lock-step. A bottle sitting next to your Ale Pail is really quite pointless.

3. Provided you scrupulously adhere to a sanitation regimen with your sampling apparatus - and following the directions on your Star-San is a good sanitation regimen - and follow my suggestion #1, you need not fear. The risk of introducing spoiling microbes into the beer is scant.

Regards,

Bob

A couple of points:

1. Don't worry about opening the fermenter. Just be careful stuff doesn't drop in. I don't even try to seal my plastic-bucket fermenters; I have a couple of sheets of 1/8" clear Plexiglas I sanitize and just let rest over the mouth of the bucket.

I would assume you cut a hole for the air lock/hose?

A couple of points:

Open fermentation for the win :rockin:

Never thought about throwing plexiglass on as a cover. That would make it a lot easier to see when the Krausen drops without constantly mucking with the lid. Looks like it's time for me to buy some plexiglass.

:mug:

How do you know fermentation is proceeding the same in the bottle as in the fermenter? You're going to have different air pressures, and if, as you say, you don't worry about sanitizing the sample bottle, you may have an infected sample which may very well affect its gravity.

My solution is simple: ferment in a bucket with a spigot. When you need a sample (like I did 15 minutes ago), just get it right out of the spigot. No worries about sanitizing anything, or introducing an infection, and you're guaranteed an accurate reading.

(BTW, just in case you're wondering, the beer in question is an IPA based on Jamil's APA from Brewing Classic Styles. Started at 1.070, finished nicely after 2 weeks at 1.016. Couple more weeks and it'll be set to bottle.)

I would assume you cut a hole for the air lock/hose?

Absolutely not. As I wrote, the plastic sheet just sits over the mouth of the bukkit. It's large enough to completely cover the mouth. Any off-gassing just, well, happens - because the sheet is not sealed.

Never thought about throwing plexiglass on as a cover. That would make it a lot easier to see when the Krausen drops without constantly mucking with the lid. Looks like it's time for me to buy some plexiglass.

You get down with your bad self. You just hit the main reasons I do it! :mug:

Bob

i have the nice true brew "threaded top" fermenter so removing the top is easier then a regular snap on lid. i just have to worry about making a mess with the blow off tube.

Back