How does mash time effect final beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_javi

Reaction score
I have noticed that on my first 2 recipes designed with Beersmith (Pale Ale, Single Infusion Mash, Medium Body), the mash time was 60 Min. On my second recipe (Saison, Single Infusion Mash, Light Body), it says 75 min mash time. Why the difference? I am assuming it is because of the difference in body, but it seems backwards to me. I would think a light body beer would have a lower mash temp and a SHORTER mash time, not longer. Can someone explain what the science is behind this? Thanks!

lower mash temp = more fermentable wort = lower final gravity = less body

longer mash time = more fermentable wort = lower final gravity = less body

The enzymes that work at low temperatures don't work as fast as the ones that work at high temperatures.

So if you are mashing at low temps, recipes will often extend the mash time accordingly.

Likewise if a recipe has lots of adjuncts (eg oats, rice etc) then there are less enzymes available and the mash might take a bit longer to get full conversion.

Some people swear that the conversion is all/mostly done within the first 15 mins or so and that short mashes are the way to go, but that hasn't been my experience. I do find that I get better efficiency with a 90 min mash vs a 60 minute mash so I will mash longer if I'm not in a hurry and the mash temps are at the low end. But you can always add a little more grain to compensate if you don't want to go longer than 60 mins.

I always just do 60 minutes, even with pilsner malt that they always said needs 90 and now has been shown the extra time is not needed. I've heard about the 5 to 10 minute conversion but I'm not in a rush on brew day so why chance it

better efficiency with longer times has to do with crush. coarser crush would take longer for the water to reach the starches in the larger pieces of grain to convert

& like fermentation - complete in a few days, but the yeast need more time for cleaning up off flavors - there's more than conversion going on in the mash, so give it more time

better efficiency with longer times has to do with crush. coarser crush would take longer for the water to reach the starches in the larger pieces of grain to convert

& like fermentation - complete in a few days, but the yeast need more time for cleaning up off flavors - there's more than conversion going on in the mash, so give it more time
I thought the mash time was for enzyme chains, some longer than others and that's the reason for longer/different mash times?

I've also heard yeast don't clean up after themselves...when there done there done...I thought that came from the yeast book people mention as the most accurate information

Not an expert just things I've heard

Temp is a factor as well. If you look at the mash temps beersmith recommends you will see different temps associated with body. Light body is indicative of lower mash temps. Higher mash temps triggers a different set of enzymes that produce longer chain sugars which equals more body. It's about the fermentable sugars extracted from the grain. That's why you will see the addition of simple sugars like dextrose to dry a beer out. By controlling your mash time and temp you are building your sugar profiles for that style of beer. Thin saison that's dry and crisp should be mashed lower, thick and chewy stouts should be mashed higher.

Read up on alpha and beta rests and the enzymes that impact on the sugar profile and the role they play in fermentation profiles. It will come together for you.

Back