How do you use your Temperature Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I usually use a Thermowell in conjunction w/ my Ranco Controller. For those without thermowells, where do you put your probe?

I used a plastic cup with lid and cut a small hole to stick the probe in so the temp is more stabilized and hopefully closer to what the liquid would be inside a keg or fermentor.

When I first start fermentation, I don't put the probe in the thermowell in the carboy. It makes the freezer (I use chest freezers for fermentation) get too cold in order to get the liquid temp down. I just let the probe hang loosely in the freezer, usually partially touching the inside wall of the freezer. The freezer turns off and on fairly often with the probe just hanging loosely, but the inside of the freezer (not the carboy) never gets too cold. Once everything has normalized after about 24 hours, I stick the probe in the thermowell and begin controlling to the fermenting wort temp.

I dont get frozen airlocks or overshoot cooling. I want the yeast to take off and not get too cold initially.

Back