how do you treat your water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I bought a house a couple of years ago and I really don't like the tap water (its kind of musty), I have mostly been buying spring water. I want to have a consistent water profile and so I'm thinking of going with Gordon Strong's method. how are you treating your water?

http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/05/31/advanced-home-brewing-with-gordon-strong-beersmith-podcast-39/

Strong's method -

- Starting with RO water, adjust the PH to roughly 5.5 with 1/4 teaspoon of 10% phosphoric acid
- Next add 1 teaspoon of either calcium chloride or calcium sulfate to get about 50 PPM calcium
- Then add any other additions to the boil as needed

I have high alkalinity, so in the very least I usually cut my water with RO. More often I buy RO water and build from there. I'd really like to get an RO system for home, but I'm holding out for a bit until the kid is all set for college.

Hmm... Now that I think about it, that might not be such a good plan.

I think if you can buy the same brand of water you could be fine for consistency. It really depends on the source type of that water. Around here the water is not very seasonal. We get our water from underground and the properties don't change that much overall. As far as I know anyway.

I also have high alkalinity; I use 70% RO & 30% tap water (well). I then add 3 g CaCl & 2.5 ml Lactic Acid to the entire volume of water. My beers have been much better since then. Check out the Water Primer in the Brew Science section.

I recently installed a whole house filtration system with 2 sediment filters and an active carbon block chloramine filter-- did wonders for my chlorinated city water and wasn't all that expensive

Back