How Do You Store Your Vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adpostel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How is everyone storing their vessels in their breweries? Everything from Starter Flasks, 1 Gal fermenters, Carboys, Kettles, etc.... Are yall just washing them and drying them and putting them up? Or StarSan after washing them.... Storing them with StarSan in them? My brewery is in a corner of my garage and I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep my vessels clean and sanitized. May not work, so I'm just curious as to how everyone else is doing it.... TIA

Brew kettles and fermenters (Brew Buckets): Cleaned with PBW; drain valves disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled. I use Bar Keeper's Friend and some elbow grease to remove beer stone from kettle bottoms. I store them in my garage, covered with plastic garbage bags to keep out dust.

Smaller stuff, like flasks, gallon jugs, tubing, etc: Cleaned, rinsed, then a rinse with Starsan to kill any leftover yeasties that may be lurking inside. Dried and put away in plastic storage bins. A plastic dish drying rack is helpful for the little stuff to drip-dry.

Hot side - hot water rinse and a caustic brewery clean every 5 pr so brews. I never take apart my valves on the hot side and have never had an issue in 6 years.

Cold side - after fermentation I boil my fermenter with a gallon or two for 30 mins dry upside down and spray with Starman and let dry. I then toss them into my garage where ever there is space. My new unitank holds Starman when not full of beer. Since I can't boil in it I throw or rub boiling water through it and cip it every other brew.

Tools - flasks fill with boiling water let sit for 15 mins then Starsan rinse let dry upside down on brew stand. Hydrometer I wash with a bottle brush and soap then dry upside down in kitchen.

I brew weekly, but if I had to let my gear sit dry I may hit it with iodophor prior to it drying. I usually rehash and sanitize before use anyways.

I just stow fermenting buckets, bottle buckets, mash tuns etc away in the pantry, wash with dish soap and rinse well after use and then I rinse of any dust it may have collected before use. Sanitize after rinsing ifcold side equipment. Bottles I pile up and wash when I have enough of them, then store them in boxes in the garden shed, rinse and sanitize before use there aswell.

Back