How do you spend $500

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
this is how I did it.... omitted is the supplies for 10 gallon blond ale, and 5 gallons of mead.

P9010023.JPG

incade you are wondering about the flower, they are so my wife dosen't leave me when she gets home.

This is how i got my keezer and some gear...

Step one - bought engagement ring,
Step two - spend a **** load of cash on brewing gear,
Step three - got ****ty looks for spending so much money
Step four - delivered engagement ring
Step five - no more ****ty looks over spending cash on brewing supplies.

Now i just have to get all the gear i will ever need before the wedding.

My SWMBO would say "I still have 9 other fingers!"

Take out a grinder and some gator grit polishing pads and you can get those kegs to a mirrored finish with a few hours work (well about 4 hours per keg).

I think it's actually more of a challenge to spend LESS THAN $500 when talking gear and brewing.

It's easy to drop $50 on a single sanitary fitting for this stuff. And adds up quick!

I used this exact same method to get my woodworking shop set up. I was about 3 months from getting married and decided I better buy everything I needed before there was a joint bank account and I needed to ask permission. In retrospect, it was one of the best things I ever did. One piece of advice for married life: keep separate credit cards. That way she can only see how much you spent but not how you spent it.

I am also with the group that wants to buy all the equipment I can prior to tying the knot. My problem is that the fiance is a horse lover, so anything bought for brewing is like pennies in comparison to equine things. I will be the one getting mad at HER spending :mug:

Lucky for me I got divorced BEFORE I got into brewing...so when the next SWMBO comes along I will have thing by and large bought and paid for.

Having said that, I dropped $500 last week- got a keggle, fittings, tubing, ball valves, and connectors...it goes QUICK. I still have about another $400 to spend (Temp controller, pump, MORE fittings, grain mill) before I am where I want to be at with my brewery. The good news is that I am nearly done after nearly a month of planning, welding, drilling, redesigning, welding some more, planning, ordering, waiting, bending, redesigning again, welding again, and putting things together.

Fun fun fun hobby.

Back