How do you smash a Wyeast smash pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scientific hippie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For the second time, I have bumbled a Wyeast smash pack. The first time, I didn't read the directions (duh). The second time, I gave it two good smacks, but found on opening it the inside packet had not opened. The next time someone smashes one, could you video it and put it on Youtube or something? Thanks so much!

The easiest way is to feel the package, and find that nutrient package. Then, push that to one corner, hold it there with one hand and set it on the counter. Then use your other hand to smack that corner. Then squeeze the package and shake, to ensure the nutrients mix with the yeast. I have to use the counter because I've got pretty small hands and there is no way I can just hold it and do it. You can tell if the nutrient package has broken or not, because you can feel it in there before it breaks. It feels sort of like a moveable lump before it's broken.

I don’t smack anymore. One broken package and the resulting loss of yeast was enough to cure me of that habit.

Take the package and place it on the counter. Use your hand to locate the nutrient bag and move it to a corner of the package. Place the ball of your thumb on the bag and slowly apply pressure until it breaks. It takes a fair amount of pressure so I’ll usually lean into it a bit — if you’re on the smaller side you might want to place the smack pack on a chair instead for more leverage.

Mirroring the above, don't blindly hit the package. Find the packet inside first, move to a corner. You don't want to hit the larger package in such a way that you end up pressurizing it, you just want to hit the inner packet with a concentrated force to pop it. Like said above, hold it in a corner with one hand on a counter, then hit with the heel of your hand. You'll be able to tell it's broken by feeling around for it again.

I'm a weakling so I use a hammer. Isolate the nutrient package to a corner, hold it there with one hand and hit it with the hammer. I start off with rather gentle strikes and increase the force until it pops.

Yep, one time painting my wall with yeast (and not having it to put in the beer i was brewing), was enough to convince me to switch to an alternate brand...

It’s harder to pop than I expected. I have only popped one, but it was like the hammer method except I used greater and greater force with my hand. The White Labs one was much easier to pop. Here is a video that shows a decisive and perfectly executed smack.

You should be making a starter anyway, so breaking the nutrient pack is not of great concern. If it didn't break cut it with sanitized scissors and add it to the starter.

It’s harder to pop than I expected. I have only popped one, but it was like the hammer method except I used greater and greater force with my hand. The White Labs one was much easier to pop. Here is a video that shows a decisive and perfectly executed smack.

What did you pop in a White Labs pack? As far as I know they do not include any nutrient pack in theirs. I only used one of the new packs so far and it did not have anything inside.

So glad I'm not the only one who finds those packs tricky!
As others have advised, pushing the pack to the corner and then smack with the heel of my hand....

I always find that holding it with the other hand is important - otherwise it goes sailing across the room...

(boo.....hiss....go home....... :) )

As others have said, move the nutrient pack to a corner of the package. Set the package in one hand so the nutrient pack is in the center of your hand. Using the heel of your other hand, smack that corner of the package. Feel around the package to make sure you actually broke it. Sometimes it takes a few smacks but once you do a couple, its second nature.

Hulk Smash em’
Crazy enough....on my first ever brew day a few years ago, I Bruce Bannered a pack of 1056 and the whole thing exploded in my kitchen.

Lucky for me I still had a LHBS at the time. Now I just use S-05. Lol.

Back