How do you pick a decent brewery name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackenedBrew

Beer GOOOOD! Napster BAD!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I'm the FNG here who has no clue what to name his future brewery. I know that I really want to concentrate on Stouts of all kinds, but I have no clue as to what to name my brewery. Any thoughts?

You start by running all the obvious ones by SWMBO, and the ones that she doesn't outright scoff at you keep on a list for narrowing down later.

;)

it should mean something to you first and foremost...
personally, i am a huge fan of the SC Gamecocks and i named my brewery after the mascot..."Ass Kickin Chicken" brewery.

ma2brew said:
You start by running all the obvious ones by SWMBO, and the ones that she doesn't outright scoff at you keep on a list for narrowing down later.

;)

Oh, werrrrd. I tried to name my brewery "Ye Olde Scrote", and she vetoed that one despite my many attempts to woo her on it. :D

Evan! said:
Oh, werrrrd. I tried to name my brewery "Ye Olde Scrote", and she vetoed that one despite my many attempts to woo her on it. :D

Dude, I'm still laughing at that one... I think my co-workers know I'm obviously not working right now... :cool:

TheGAC said:
Dude, I'm still laughing at that one... I think my co-workers know I'm obviously not working right now... :cool:

Its Friday (at least for some of us) why are you trying to do any real work anyway! :D

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
Its Friday (at least for some of us) why are you trying to do any real work anyway! :D

Good Point... so far it's done nothing but piss me off today (working). Maybe that should be a part of my brewery name... Disgruntled Irishman Brewing Co?

Check out the "What's your brewery and story" thread. You'll get some good ideas.

Just make it something that means something to you. Don't worry about forcing a name on it. It'll come to you one day.

Cheers,

TheGAC said:
It does have a nice ring to it... but I don't know how it would tie into something of mine. I don't ever see windmills.

Honestly, I was kidding - windmills are sort of an inside joke around here

IndyPABrewGuy said:
I've been here since July and I don't get. Don't feel bad. :ban:
Good, now I don't feel stupid about not getting it either...

You'd have to check out some of Orpheus' old posts to figure it out, but work probably isn't the place to do such a thing

:mug:

rdwj said:
You'd have to check out some of Orpheus' old posts to figure it out, but work probably isn't the place to do such a thing

:mug:

LOL!! Something to do tonight, then . . . . . .

As for the brewery name, maybe we can help you out. What are you interested in? (besides making fun of people who end sentences with prepositions) Hobbies other than beer? Anything special about the area you live in? Old family stories/history?

All good places to start.

Muckney was my blanket when I was kid. Now he's the inspiration for my brewery name.

Cheers,

IndyPABrewGuy said:
LOL!! Something to do tonight, then . . . . . .

As for the brewery name, maybe we can help you out. What are you interested in? (besides making fun of people who end sentences with prepositions) Hobbies other than beer? Anything special about the area you live in? Old family stories/history?

All good places to start.

Muckney was my blanket when I was kid. Now he's the inspiration for my brewery name.

Cheers,
Hey, sorry about taking so long to reply, been busy as hell. The fiancé and I are in the middle of buying a house, and planning a wedding in Maui.

My interests... Well, I'm a former United States Marine. Any of you who have met a jarhead in the past know that we're a little effing psycho when it comes letting everyone know we are Marines and that happy trash. Ooorah!!! :rockin:

My 3 degrees are in the Machining / Designing world (but I'm not an engineer). I know you probably don't care that much, but I love machining. I just think of how much better this world would be if everyone was a machinist or a welder or a plumber or an electrician... etc. The blue collar trades are what has kept this country running, and they're dying off quick.

I'd have to say that the absolute love of my life is my fiancé. Every day I think about the fact that she said "YES" when I asked the question, and it makes me smile. :ban:

I don't know if that's the kind of stuff that you guys were looking for, but that's what I can think of.

Oh yeah, Jen had a few ideas for my brewery name, and to be honest I really like 'em. She knows that I love the stout. If I ever get a choice, I will pick a stout over any other type of brew. Her ideas were:

Black 'n Brew, Brewing Co.
Blackened Brew, Brewing Co.

I'm honestly leaning towards the second one... anyone know where I can go to see if it's being used already?
Chuck

TheGAC said:
Hey, sorry about taking so long to reply, been busy as hell. The fiancé and I are in the middle of buying a house, and planning a wedding in Maui.

My interests... Well, I'm a former United States Marine. Any of you who have met a jarhead in the past know that we're a little effing psycho when it comes letting everyone know we are Marines and that happy trash. Ooorah!!! :rockin:

My 3 degrees are in the Machining / Designing world (but I'm not an engineer). I know you probably don't care that much, but I love machining. I just think of how much better this world would be if everyone was a machinist or a welder or a plumber or an electrician... etc. The blue collar trades are what has kept this country running, and they're dying off quick.

I'd have to say that the absolute love of my life is my fiancé. Every day I think about the fact that she said "YES" when I asked the question, and it makes me smile. :ban:

I don't know if that's the kind of stuff that you guys were looking for, but that's what I can think of.

Oh yeah, Jen had a few ideas for my brewery name, and to be honest I really like 'em. She knows that I love the stout. If I ever get a choice, I will pick a stout over any other type of brew. Her ideas were:

Black 'n Brew, Brewing Co.
Blackened Brew, Brewing Co.

I'm honestly leaning towards the second one... anyone know where I can go to see if it's being used already?
Chuck

With no disrespt meant. Why not go with "Jar-head Brew" Just a thought. We named our " Big Boy Brewrey" I brew with my brother in law he weighs 400 and I go about 290. Just seemed to fit.

pantherbrew said:
With no disrespt meant. Why not go with "Jar-head Brew" Just a thought. We named our " Big Boy Brewrey" I brew with my brother in law he weighs 400 and I go about 290. Just seemed to fit.

No disrespect taken. I sit around all day long and talk sh*t about the Army, Navy and that other one with the planes in the Greyhound uniforms. It's all good, going to take a lot more than Jarhead to piss me off (sometimes).

Thanks for the idea though. I think I'm going to stick with Blackened Brew, but you got me thinking... (yeah, scary thought, I know) I'm going to have to name one of my brews Chapultepec Warrior Stout. I've gotta pay homage to my Teufelhunde and the Frozen Chosin! Thank you Pantherbrew.

I used to live in Portland. Why not name it California Stout Co.? :drunk: In all sincerity, do you work at a place with the initials GAC, a printing company, perhaps?

Edit: Never mind, just looked at your public profile, I see where GAC comes from. Please take the Ca comment in a humorous manner.

TheGAC said:
No disrespect taken. I sit around all day long and talk sh*t about the Army, Navy and that other one with the planes in the Greyhound uniforms. It's all good, going to take a lot more than Jarhead to piss me off (sometimes).

Thanks for the idea though. I think I'm going to stick with Blackened Brew, but you got me thinking... (yeah, scary thought, I know) I'm going to have to name one of my brews Chapultepec Warrior Stout. I've gotta pay homage to my Teufelhunde and the Frozen Chosin! Thank you Pantherbrew.

Go for it, man! I like the Blackened Brew moniker.

And thanks for your service. Once a Marine, always a Marine. Hoorah!!

Cheers!!

IndyPABrewGuy said:
Go for it, man! I like the Blackened Brew moniker.

And thanks for your service. Once a Marine, always a Marine. Hoorah!!

Cheers!!

Ooorah to you to killer! Just remember, Marine's never die; they just go to Hell and regroup!

doublegun said:
I used to live in Portland. Why not name it California Stout Co.? :drunk: In all sincerity, do you work at a place with the initials GAC, a printing company, perhaps?

Edit: Never mind, just looked at your public profile, I see where GAC comes from. Please take the Ca comment in a humorous manner.

I know you said you already noticed where The GAC came from, but for those of you who haven't figured it out yet, it's The Great Almighty Chuck.

Back