How do you make green beer for St. Patties Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpseaton

Reaction score
I know bars serve green beer by adding food coloring to the glasses before they pour the beer, but how can I make the beer green right from the bottle? Could you just add the food coloring to the priming sugar and then rack your beer into the bottling bucket?

jpseaton said:
I know bars serve green beer by adding food coloring to the glasses before they pour the beer, but how can I make the beer green right from the bottle? Could you just add the food coloring to the priming sugar and then rack your beer into the bottling bucket?

Feed your horse lots of spinach before bottling... Sorry I could not resist! I guess you can just add food coloring to the bottling bucket itself so you can control the level of greeness you want...

jpseaton said:
I..Could you just add the food coloring to the priming sugar and then rack your beer into the bottling bucket?
If you're an extract brewer, making a green beer that doesn't look like swamp water will be tough.

Extract beer tends to be darker and cloudier than all-grain and introducing food coloring can be tricky.

If you can get your base beer to look like this...
HappyFri_4.jpg

then you have a chance of creating a green beer that looks drinkable.

Otherwise, be satisfied that you're serving a homemade craft beer and leave the coloring gimmicks to the bars serving BMC.

I'd try some Irish Moss.

J/k :D

Green food coloring would work, like Biermuncher said, if the beer was light colored enough. Amber or darker beer would come out brownish, though, not green.

Add only a tiny, tiny amount of coloring. I always crack up when I go to patty's day parties and everyone has green teeth:D

Do you really want to dye 5 gallons of your good beer green? If not, then bottle the majority of it normally, then add color to the last couple gallons in the bucket....*shivers* I'm one of those guys that thinks dying ANY amount of homebrew green is tantamount to alcohol abuse.

Revvy said:
Do you really want to dye 5 gallons of your good beer green? If not, then bottle the majority of it normally, then add color to the last couple gallons in the bucket....*shivers* I'm one of those guys that thinks dying ANY amount of homebrew green is tantamount to alcohol abuse.

+1 Then again I think that messing with any beer by coloring it is alchohol abuse. I honestly have never seen or even figured out the fascination behind this. If you really want it green, buy green glasses.

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
+1 Then again I think that messing with any beer by coloring it is alchohol abuse. I honestly have never seen or even figured out the fascination behind this. If you really want it green, buy green glasses.

Here... The perfect answer...cheap swill in it's own green glass.

rrgrngla.jpg

The last three times someone created a thread about this, he was seriously trashed by everyone... Maybe the EAC's are all asleep today.

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
Perfect!

Well it is early, even the EAC's should be able to sleep in occasionally. :D

You do realize we're going ot get more and more of these threads as we get closer to "Amatuer Drinking and acting like a fool day" don't you? :rolleyes:

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
So true, and when they do pop up we can just post a reply with the link to this thread. Saves time and energy. :cool:

Damn dude, I'm so glad I signed up for this site... you guys take the sh*tty day I'm having at work, and give me something to laugh about. Thank you! :mug:

Back