How do you make green beer for St. Patties Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jpseaton

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2007
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Location
Parma, Ohio
I know bars serve green beer by adding food coloring to the glasses before they pour the beer, but how can I make the beer green right from the bottle? Could you just add the food coloring to the priming sugar and then rack your beer into the bottling bucket?
 

Brewing Clamper

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
2,804
Reaction score
23
Location
Union City, CA
jpseaton said:
I know bars serve green beer by adding food coloring to the glasses before they pour the beer, but how can I make the beer green right from the bottle? Could you just add the food coloring to the priming sugar and then rack your beer into the bottling bucket?
Feed your horse lots of spinach before bottling... Sorry I could not resist! I guess you can just add food coloring to the bottling bucket itself so you can control the level of greeness you want...
 

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
12,443
Reaction score
931
Location
St. Louis, MO
jpseaton said:
I..Could you just add the food coloring to the priming sugar and then rack your beer into the bottling bucket?
If you're an extract brewer, making a green beer that doesn't look like swamp water will be tough.

Extract beer tends to be darker and cloudier than all-grain and introducing food coloring can be tricky.

If you can get your base beer to look like this...
HappyFri_4.jpg

then you have a chance of creating a green beer that looks drinkable.

Otherwise, be satisfied that you're serving a homemade craft beer and leave the coloring gimmicks to the bars serving BMC.
 

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
74,724
Reaction score
12,417
Location
UP/Snowbird in Florida
I'd try some Irish Moss.



J/k :D

Green food coloring would work, like Biermuncher said, if the beer was light colored enough. Amber or darker beer would come out brownish, though, not green.
 

shafferpilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
1,579
Reaction score
17
Location
Cincinnati OH
Add only a tiny, tiny amount of coloring. I always crack up when I go to patty's day parties and everyone has green teeth:D
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,297
Reaction score
3,714
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
Do you really want to dye 5 gallons of your good beer green? If not, then bottle the majority of it normally, then add color to the last couple gallons in the bucket....*shivers* I'm one of those guys that thinks dying ANY amount of homebrew green is tantamount to alcohol abuse.
 

AFAJ Brew Guy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
692
Reaction score
2
Location
Fernley, NV
Revvy said:
Do you really want to dye 5 gallons of your good beer green? If not, then bottle the majority of it normally, then add color to the last couple gallons in the bucket....*shivers* I'm one of those guys that thinks dying ANY amount of homebrew green is tantamount to alcohol abuse.
+1 Then again I think that messing with any beer by coloring it is alchohol abuse. I honestly have never seen or even figured out the fascination behind this. If you really want it green, buy green glasses.
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,297
Reaction score
3,714
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
AFAJ Brew Guy said:
+1 Then again I think that messing with any beer by coloring it is alchohol abuse. I honestly have never seen or even figured out the fascination behind this. If you really want it green, buy green glasses.
Here... The perfect answer...cheap swill in it's own green glass.



The last three times someone created a thread about this, he was seriously trashed by everyone... Maybe the EAC's are all asleep today.
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,297
Reaction score
3,714
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
AFAJ Brew Guy said:
Perfect!

Well it is early, even the EAC's should be able to sleep in occasionally. :D

You do realize we're going ot get more and more of these threads as we get closer to "Amatuer Drinking and acting like a fool day" don't you? :rolleyes:
 

AFAJ Brew Guy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
692
Reaction score
2
Location
Fernley, NV
So true, and when they do pop up we can just post a reply with the link to this thread. Saves time and energy. :cool:
 

BlackenedBrew

Beer GOOOOD! Napster BAD!
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 12, 2007
Messages
163
Reaction score
5
Location
Salem
AFAJ Brew Guy said:
So true, and when they do pop up we can just post a reply with the link to this thread. Saves time and energy. :cool:
Damn dude, I'm so glad I signed up for this site... you guys take the sh*tty day I'm having at work, and give me something to laugh about. Thank you! :mug:
 

mot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
2
Location
MN
just dont do it....ban green beer:mug:
 
Top