how do you make a light beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Low OG. Low FG. Sometimes they will use amylase enzyme to break down all the sugars.

Edit: This is how light beer is different.

Why would one even want too.. ?

I mean that in, that since light beers have no flavor, body, finish, etc.. and pretty much taste like water there is nothing to improve upon. So why go to the effort to brew your own.

I brew light beers and honestly they are dang hard to do and make taste good. I like the low alcohol since I like to drink but hate ending up on my lips drunk.

I brew light beers and honestly they are dang hard to do and make taste good.

If you can make a light beer taste good, then that in of itself is an amazing talent :mug:

Might want to get with Miller, InBev, etc.. and teach them how to do it. ;)

Light beer to me is light on the sugar and light on the ABV. I do think that the best tasting beers are possible for this def of light beers.

I'm assuming that the OP is talking about a light lager, such as Coors Light or Miller Lite. This is only one type of lower alcohol beer. Though not appealing to everyone, the 'big boys' have perfected this one type of beer.

There are a number of very flavourful, lower alcohol beer styles that dispel the myth of 'light beer' being flavourless, watery and thin. Styles like ordinary bitters, Scottish ales and milds are a few examples. High quality ingredients, proper hopping and specific parts of the brewing/fermenting process can make delicious beers with less that 4% ABV. One of the best beers that I ever had was a 3.6% ale in Glasgow, Scotland. It was hoppy, packed with flavour and had great mouthfeel. It was fantastic all around.

Lower alcohol beers can be difficult to get right, as the flaws can show through more than beers with higher ABV. It's totally doable with care and attention. There are plenty of threads on brewing low alcohol beers all over HBT and some great podcasts on the subject.

:mug:

Lower alcohol beers can be difficult to get right, as the flaws can show through more than beers with higher ABV.

I assume this is probably because even bad beer after the 2nd or 3rd starts to taste better.. the higher the ABV the sooner it tastes better :D

Light beer is all relative. I would consider a 5% pale ale to be light. But most people would tell me it's too rich (heavy). It all depends on your view point.

Yep - so many different beers appeal to so many different generations and tastes.:)

My favorite this year is a light nut brown ale. Only 3.5% ABV, but it is just right the right combo for me.

Yep - so many different beers appeal to so many different generations and tastes.:)

My favorite this year is a light nut brown ale. Only 3.5% ABV, but it is just right the right combo for me.

See to me that is a good beer..

When I think "Light" beer.. I think Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light, MIchelob 64, etc.. etc.. light in calories, body and taste.

IMO/IME, having a beer that doesn't finish heavy, is moderate in ABV (4.5-5.5%) lighter in color (hence 'light beer' :D) isn't too difficult to do. Trying to get all of that into something 3.5% or less, not so much. You also need to mash at a temp that will give you enough malt in the finish, so it's not too dry.

I would say try in baby steps. Read up the various lower ABV recipes and see what the brewers did to get there (especially ones that are good/great in glass).

My MO SMaSH is what I would consider a 'light' beer. Easy to drink and damned tasty. I'm going to work on making it a bit lower in ABV for better summer drinking soon. My target will be in the 4-4.5% range. I can't see trying to go below 4% for a brew. :D

You also need to mash at a temp that will give you enough malt in the finish, so it's not too dry.

That is the hardest part to brewing a <4%ABV session beer. I personally think its better to be too dry than have a high FG - A 1.035 OG beer will still be drinkable if it finishes at 1.007 but if it finishes at 1.014 nobody will touch it. A dry session beer probably won't do well in competition due to the 2oz pour judging but if the goal is to brew a poundable beer, its ok to be a little on the dry side.

Here is a fantastic "light beer" recipe from the past http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ca/2011/08/lets-brew-wednesday-1930-whitbread-ak.html

A crazy hoppy <3% beer like this could be a craft beer alternative to coors light.

Back