how do you know a beer is oxidized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i just tasted a white IPA i made today. tasted similar to an orange pale ale i made. they both have orange peel and coriander.
the IPA has white wheat and more hops obviously. they both had a similar taste and i cannot identify it for sure. i dunno if it's the coriander or what?
it was basment temp (bout 62*) and like 75% carbonated i would guess.
gonna give it another shot tomorrow, but im left confused here
thanks guys

So is it the actual taste of wet cardboard or the perceived taste from the smell of wet cardboard?

i just tasted a white IPA i made today. tasted similar to an orange pale ale i made. they both have orange peel and coriander.
the IPA has white wheat and more hops obviously. they both had a similar taste and i cannot identify it for sure. i dunno if it's the coriander or what?
it was basment temp (bout 62*) and like 75% carbonated i would guess.
gonna give it another shot tomorrow, but im left confused here
thanks guys

Did you use safeale US05 or Muntons dry yeasts?

Happened on a few of my batches that I've kept around for a long time (bigger beers usually). Usually it is just that, a slight hint of wet cardboard. Its not terrible, its just not quite right. Usually a sign to finish up the rest of those bottles pronto.

I had made a Dubbel years back and bottled some in champagne bottles with a cage/plastic cork. The cork worked on 2 of the 3 bottles and held in the carbonation; all was good. It did not hold in that third bottle. Imagine grinding up cardboard, soaking in water for a couple of days, and then straining out the water. Its all I could taste, and I almost gagged.

When you taste it, you'll know. But it may never happen to you if you don't age bottles.

So is it the actual taste of wet cardboard or the perceived taste from the smell of wet cardboard?

More or less the perceived taste of wet cardboard. In sweeter beers it is described as being "sherry-like".

I know what dry cardboard smells like, but I can't remember the last time I smelled wet cardboard, so I may try that this weekend.

Back