How do you kill a hop vine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I have a 15 year old hop plant that I want to get rid of. It is a male plant, so no flowers. I bought a couple of rhizomes this year and want to plant one in it's place.

I have the new hop plant in a pot while I figure out how to get rid of the original plant.

I've heard they are difficult plants to get rid of. Any suggestions?

Generally a backhoe will take care of the problem but no guarantee. I think the trick is to get the entire rhizome (which will have multiplied considerably over the 15 years) so lots of digging. You don't want to contaminate the soil since you are planting new rhizomes in its place so stay away from the roundup. You may also try contacting one of the hop farms or even your county extension office for advice. They are called wolf vines for a reason.

Roundup only works when absorbed through the leaves of an actively growing plant. Roundup can not contaminate soil.

Cut it down and apply 24D or undiluted roundup to the stump. Killed some poison ivy vines that way.

Roundup only works when absorbed through the leaves of an actively growing plant. Roundup can not contaminate soil.

This isn't entirely true. You are right in that it is water soluble and one can rinse it away slowly. But if you drop roundup and plant the rhizome right away, I'd be extremely impressed if it survived...

Even RoundUp recommends waiting at least 7 days. Source

Round up works just wait a couple of weeks before you replant. I would also wait two weeks after I applied the round up to the plant to be sure it absorbed it.

Back